Not good nights

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
Over the last week Robert has been waking me up around 2.30 am saying he can't sleep. He tell him to go back to bed as it is still night time. Trouble is he goes to sleep again quite easily but of course I can't then I am not good at getting up at 6.45 and see to him before he goes to the day centre. Albeit he does have carers come and help morning and evening.

His confusion recently is getting much worse. He is not sure we live in Sweden (been here over 10 years). How did our furniture get here from England, where does Mark live (our son only is 15 mins away in the car). Last evening while we were having dinner he asked the same question 10 times, I try and change the subject to distract him but nothing worked. I was in the end reduced to tears, having quickly made my exit to the bathroom. I know lots of you have this and nothing can help this dreadful condition.

He even now asks me if he can visit the toilet. This is getting more and more frequent.

I am sorry to moan but I know TP is the one place we can and everyone understands.

The weather doesn't help we have loads and loads of snow, but the roads are kept very well. Of course all the snow is banked up at the sides. Even our little road is kept ploughed. At least it is brighter than having rain all the time.

Thank you for listening.

Take care all of you. Be interested to hear other comments.

Love disi x

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Disi does your hubby go to bed too early? My hubby goes at 7pm so he is awake at 2pm, sometimes l can get him back to bed but not always, l make a cup of tea, as l am wide awake and have trouble gettinb ba k to sleep, we tried sleeping tablets but that made him sleep 10 or 12 hrs, seemed to make him drowsy all day. It must be very difficult for you, l think we will never get back to normal sleeping hours, its all part of this awful disease we have to cope with, take care ♡♡♡

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
Hello Disi does your hubby go to bed too early? My hubby goes at 7pm so he is awake at 2pm, sometimes l can get him back to bed but not always, l make a cup of tea, as l am wide awake and have trouble gettinb ba k to sleep, we tried sleeping tablets but that made him sleep 10 or 12 hrs, seemed to make him drowsy all day. It must be very difficult for you, l think we will never get back to normal sleeping hours, its all part of this awful disease we have to cope with, take care ♡♡♡

Hi Pamann, Thanks for replying. Robert goes to bed around 9pm when the carers come. He has half a sleeping tablet at the moment. Perhaps I will give him one to see how it works. I find I must have some 'me' time afterwards and I usually go around 11pm buy which time he is usually asleep and I am really tired. I know they say when you get older (I am 72) you don't need so much, but as you know the stress of looking after someone with Dementia is exhausting mentally as physically.

Have you been looking after your husband for very long? Robert was diagnosed about 3 years ago, but I realize he was not good before that, but just thought he would getting slower in old age. (He is now 80).

disi x

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Disi my hubby has had AD for 7yrs, he is 75 l am 69 we are both in good health, its just the AD that gets in the way of having a normal life, he doesn't always recognise me, he talks to me all the time about his wife, as long as l agree with everything he says thats fine if l disagree he gets very angry, l don't think we ever get used to it, it is a heartbreaking diease. ♡♡♡