Not feeling the heat

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
My mum always felt the cold. She wore a vest even in the hottest weather. Her hands were always cold.

Somehow she survived a childhood of unheated bedrooms and her teens in WREN quarters consisting of a large brick hut with concrete floor, Crittal windows and a single coke stove for heating. :eek: Ever resourceful, she cut the gusset out of a pair of navy issue woollen bloomers and wore it under her uniform as a thermal vest. :D

Strangely, when she went on Warfarin 4 years ago her body temperature rose, her hands became warm, and she wears clothes that are normal for a sedentary person in their 90's. No longer does she require a knee rug and constant supply of hot water bottles. Her GPs say there is no link to Warfarin, but I speak as I find. Something has reset her thermostat. If only I knew what it was then I could offer useful advice. :rolleyes:

What I really don't understand is how some PWD can be wrapped up in a stifling airless room and fail to overheat. :confused: You would think that, even if the person doesn't feel hot, their body would get hot anyway and they would get flushed and sweaty. However, I suppose that if their temperature regulation mechanism doesn't work then perhaps those automatic cooling reactions don't work either. I wonder though if they actually do overheat, as measured with a thermometer? If so, then it could be dangerous. If not, then it's just uncomfortable for their cohabitees. :(

Last edited:

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
My husband was the same always felt cold, coat even on a hot day and doors and windows shut because of the draught. Much as I miss him, I have revelled in being able to open every door and window whilst it has been so hot.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Rachael81

Dec 31, 2015
Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
I had failed to put 2 and 2 together that mums lack of body-thermostat and the dementia where related! I don't care what she wears, it can be as inappropriate as she likes, my bugbear is the constant "aren't you cold?" at me wearing weather suitable clothing.

The other day she had the heat on medium-high when I was walking round in a t-shirt and shorts with sun burn! I know her flat gets very little warmth from the sun due to the way it faces but it was an oven.

Rachael

"I'm thankful for my struggle because without it I wouldn't have stumbled across my strength" - Alex Elle

Juliet46

Jul 16, 2016
I'm so glad I've just read this. I'm new to the forum and last night my mother was wrapped up in her duvet and sweating profusely but refusing to take the duvet off. Once she was snoozing, I slowly moved the duvet down and put a fan on her til morning because I was so worried she'd die of the heat. This morning she was cool, happy and quite perky. It's so odd how their temperature gauges are completely gone as well.

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
My mum has her heating on at full blast all the time, and wears extra jumpers and a fleece dressing gown. When we try to turn it down she complains of being cold and hating winter.

AdrianS

Feb 18, 2016
buckinghamshire
Hot and Cold

Seems to me the closing/locking doors and extra clothing are security as well as temperature issues. My OH starts "lock down" around 4.30 despite the fact that I might want to go to the freezer in the garage. He seems to rely solely on time not how light it is. Every time someone around here posts that their cat is missing I feel guilty thinking the poor thing has been locked into one of our sheds.

On the clothes front, even this week, OH has wanted to wear a coat to go out and in some way I can understand this as the weather changed so suddenly and I have felt quite exposed just wearing a t shirt and cropped trousers. I of course have so many reference points, the weather forecast, remember the month, note what other people are wearing etc.

Tonight I am pondering how OH can forget so much but remember that he has lost something. His afternoon spent searching for wallet. I tried to explain it was in the house because I saw him with it, why not wait until it turns up, but no, the search continued. Found now.

My OH is much the same. I have to tell her it's hot outside and she doesn't need a coat and in the Winter she wants to go out in her T shirt on a clear cold and frosty day. She doesn't take my word for it and argues. When she goes to the Day Centre I'm going to send her with a raincoat as a matter of course because it's not worth the hassle to try and persuade her it's not going to rain or be cold/

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
Bearing in mind we live where the average temperature at this time of year is around 32 C. you won't be surprised to hear that it was only last Friday I finally managed to confiscate the electric blanket, the heavy winter blanket, and turn the mattresses to summer setting. We still have aboard sheet, candlewick spread, and duvet; plus going to bed fully spring mode clothed. Laughing not to cry!
malomm

Jessiemay

Feb 15, 2016
Feeling the heat

Absolutely agree about them not feeling the heat! In temps of 30 degrees , hubby still wearing his Berghaus fleece , so I put it away . In our village shop today , lovely lady said she'd had a call about hubby! Been seen walking round the village in his dressing gown!!! Methinks he couldn't find his fleece , so put on the dressing gown over his clothes instead ! Was quite glad Id found a logical explanation and he's not gone completely off his head , saying that .....

Morningside

May 19, 2016
It's so refreshing to hear all the comments which are identical to myexperiences. Thanks everyone. In the blistering heat of Spain's Costa where we live, I can return to a room and find the windows shut depite temperatures of 36 in the shade. Incredible.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
On this page alone, there are responses from all over the UK, and also the USA, Italy and Spain. A truly International group of cyber friends. :)

Jessiemay

Feb 15, 2016
Drawing curtains and locking gates

Never realised it was a symptom of his FTD. But OH has for many years wanted to draw the curtains as soon as he can 4 pm in winter 8pm in summer and lock all the gates , shed , close windows etc. Reading all the previous posts I realise its something in his head ! Thought it was just him !!!
and just go round opening windows and drawing back curtains , and grumbling !

Last edited:

julie66

Oct 4, 2013
Feeling cold in the heat

Just been reading some of the threads here
My husband sometimes sits around the house with his puffer jacket fully zipped with nothing underneath even comes out shopping with me.

I Wonder

Mar 13, 2015
West yorks.
Well it's not often I read t/p but I have tonight and I can hardly believe what I am reading. These o/hs, mine included, are the people we have lived and loved with for years through thick and thin so please do try and understand they are really ill and not in control of their minds. I am sure no one would like to swap the problems they have.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Well it's not often I read t/p but I have tonight and I can hardly believe what I am reading. These o/hs, mine included, are the people we have lived and loved with for years through thick and thin so please do try and understand they are really ill and not in control of their minds. I am sure no one would like to swap the problems they have.

I'm not sure what you can't believe Wonder.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
My dads same, winter coats in summer, gloves or his muffle on a morning for his hands.
Mil who doesn't have dementia is also same, electric blanket every night even if room is 20+ degrees without heating here.
I know blood gets thinner but I get hot thinking of them .

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
dressed for winter

I was so relieved to hear all other comments as quite often I can't get Mum to get ready for bed and put on her nightclothes she wants to stay fully dressed and sometimes even keeps her coat on saying she feels cold alzheimers is so complex.I also have the problems with everywhere locked up but this I have to do anyway as Mum tries to go home at sundowning time most evenings although we are where she has lived for 30 years....

shine and dine

Jul 11, 2012
Munich, Germany
Spain's Costa, possile move

It's so refreshing to hear all the comments which are identical to my experiences. Thanks everyone. In the blistering heat of Spain's Costa where we live, I can return to a room and find the windows shut despite temperatures of 36 in the shade. Incredible.

Dear Morningside,
I have many questions as I was thinking of moving to the Costa Blanca with my 94-year old mum who has dementia and deafness but can still walk, eat by herself, recognise me and converse. How long have you been living there? How are the carer services? Do you think services will get a lot worse now with Brexit? What are people saying? Will a lot of people return to the UK? I visited many homes there in Oct 2015 and was over the moon as they are much cheaper than those in the UK and in Germany but I am afraid that should Brexit really kick in I would end up having to pay all mum's NHS costs privately including medication and operations. I don't know how to write you a private msg as I know this should not appear here, sorry.