Not exactly dementia related but the cost of hip fractures in hospital

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Why not a DEXA (DXA) scan for all over a certain age, with differential between male/female?

A similarity is mass radiography in the late 40s/early 50s for TB.

Prevention is better than cure.

Phrases like 'can't see wood for trees' and 'hard to remember that the original intention was to drain the swamp when you are up to your ar5e in alligators' come to mind.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Prevention is better than cure? That's what I thought too, but last week when I tried to book a Healthy Heart appointment (as advertised by posters in my surgery), I was told they no longer did them unless by invitation from my GP.

I was a bit :confused: and also very :mad:.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"That's what I thought too, but last week when I tried to book a Healthy Heart appointment (as advertised by posters in my surgery), I was told they no longer did them unless by invitation from my GP."

There is a problem with most screening in that although the cost of screening may be minimal the cost of follows up can be extremely high, a large percentage of people with a 'questionable' result are not found to require any action.

The 'invitation by my GP' probably means that from their knowledge of your medical history they think you are not in a statistical subset that warrants investigation and therefore did not get an invite. If there are any familial or other reasons why you think you may be at risk you should inform your GP and ask to be screened.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Following two broken wrists within twelve months I was given a DEXA scan in my fifties,but only when I asked for one, and found to have a problem. I used to have a scan every two years but the frequency is now reduced ( not quite sure now when another is due) owing to cuts. I started with alendronic acid but after a year side effects were so bad I could not take it. I was transferred to a biphosphanate and again it was OK for a while but then I had really painful joints which is a rare side effect. It was so bad there was no comfortable position in which I could sleep. I am now just taking the calcium tablets on the recommendation of my GP, so treating this condition is not as simple as you might think.
I try to be really careful but I would really love to go ice skating. However, being a carer for someone with dementia one handed is not something I would recommend so I must be sensible
Tre

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi tre :)

Like you I broke bones in my fifties (shoulder and wrist) and had to pester to get a DEXA scan. It showed I had a problem with osteoporosis but like you, I tried, and could not tolerate, alendronic acid and bisphosphonates.

So....to cut a long story short, I now have an injection of something called Denosumab, once every six months, and take calcium and Vitamin D. It's apparently expensive, and doesn't suit everyone, but I've found it so good, I thought I'd mention it.

I'd love to ride a bike....but in the circumstances, I still won't take the risk ;) xx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Prevention is better than cure? That's what I thought too, but last week when I tried to book a Healthy Heart appointment (as advertised by posters in my surgery), I was told they no longer did them unless by invitation from my GP.

I was a bit :confused: and also very :mad:.

Sort of related, CG....

Last week I was in the surgery and saw a notice in the waiting room...."Need a quiet word? Ask our receptionist and we can talk to you privately". Suddenly I thought, I know, I need to ask about respite breaks, which up to 1 April our CCG was funding....so I asked for a "quiet word". You've guessed the rest I'm sure :rolleyes: The receptionist had never heard of the concept of a "quiet word", asked me to show her the notice, then said she'd have to talk to me at the counter as normal. Caused a bit of fuss, really, and totally negated the idea of the notice.....

And they don't do respite any more, well not after 1 April.....

Take care :)

Lindy xx