Not everyone has such a good listening ear

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Yet again the Alzheimer’s society has risen to the occasion with a listening ear by giving those of us with this debilitating illness or own section to voice our thoughts and opinions, if only the governmental departments would now do the same thing for you all in the UK and get you onto an approved medication right from the early diagnoses of the illness.

Although I live in Indonesia I can vouch for the benefits of having been prescribed Aricept right from the beginning of my illness even though I must pay for it, every one of us deserves to have some quality of life even with this illness yet still the government body’s at home don’t listen no matter how hard we shout!

Maybe if all the money that’s been returned by the MPs from the scandal of over claming there expenses was collated it could be used to the benefit of early dementia medication!!

Or maybe they have a philosophy of ‘us first’ before others in need! :confused:

Barry

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Its good to read how you are benefiting from Aricept , my mother was in later stage when diagnosed back in 02 to take Aricept , but was given Ebixa Memantine, in Gibraltar where it is still given to people with dementia, compared to how it is not in England .

I do hope when the time comes that you can get Ebixa in Indonesia?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Ebixa Memantine Is given for when people are in the late stages of dementia after all other medication for AZ our not working for the person anymore.

Other country outside England does give exbiza, if the person does not have heart problems .

Over the years I have read up about this medication I found out that it not recommended for people with heart issue. Does not work for everyone who has AZ .

If my mother had been diagnosed with AZ in my local authority in England back in 03, my mother would have been offered this medication freely without asking, even if at time that time it was Free on the NHS.

This medication held back the symptoms from becoming fully blow up for 4 years , symptoms did come back slowly but not so harshly like when without any medication .
They must have known in Gibraltar that mums had a vascular element of dementia, because mum has diabetic, never had any heart condition . So our consultant in Gibraltar gave mum Exbiza while labelling mum dementia as AZ.

In UK, without a brain scan, symptoms alone consultant says mum also got a element of Vascular dementia also.

This is a good site

http://www.3dchem.com/moremolecules.asp?ID=269&othername=Ebixa

This is NICE ruling on it for people living in England .

http://www.nice.org.uk/newsroom/pre..._guideline_to_support_patients_and_carers.jsp

I hope hope you can get it when the time come you need it.

Then saying that , I am wondering do you have any heart problems ?

Last edited:

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Margarita,
Many thanks for the advice and web contacts, as for my heart well I did have a stroke just over 4 years ago pre my Alzheimer’s diagnoses, and also have type 2 diabetes, but your advise is well taken and fortunately I have a very good doctor here in Indonesia who I have a great deal of trust
Barry

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I have a very good doctor here in Indonesia who I have a great deal of trust

That is good to read .

I did have a stroke just over 4 years ago pre my Alzheimer’s diagnoses, and also have type 2 diabetes,

Sorry to read about your stroke, that mean Exbiza can't be given to you .

Main thing I notice with my father who had a stroke, still keep very active afterwards, but not taking medication regularly Then mum with diabetes, also not taking medication unstable them more cognitively.

Dad just did not take his Blood pressure regularly, or medication for his heart regularly ended up having a massive heart attack that ended his Life on earth ,when he got so stressed one day .

Those medication for heart, diabetic is the main Key in to keeping cognitively stable, holding back keeping the Demetria stable longer .

I do hope you don't take offense in me being so open in saying that to you .

Last edited: