1. jellymac

jellymac Registered User

Nov 29, 2014
    West Midlands
    Hi
    Im sorry if this has been asked a thousand times before but i wonder if i could ask advice please. My mom is in a care home and is in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's. She has always had a very good appetite but the last couple of weeks she hasn't been eating, she'll have a mouth full then refuse anymore, this is with breakfast, lunch and dinner. She is ok with chewing and swallowing so its not a problem in that. The carers have tried different ways and places to get her to eat but she just refuses (although she does eat puddings). Is this common and is it something to worry about? Also my mom is now refusing to take her medication, again for about 3-4 weeks, the doctor has agreed to change the ones they can to liquid form to see if that helps. Thank you.

2. Jessbow

Jessbow Registered User

Tastes change- many PWD favour sweet foods over savoury.
    I'd go as far as ''very common''

3. love.dad.but..

love.dad.but.. Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Kent
    My dad has just gone through a similar phase and is on fluid and food watch and sometimes now has to be helped to feed. He has developed a sweet tooth so the care home sometimes start with his pudding to get his taste buds going and go back to the dinner which works at times. I think dad is losing the association of what and why with food and whilst he refuses and turns his head away, a few minutes later he has forgotten he has refused and you can get another mouthful in. I so often repeat...last one dad or just one more....many times and that works. However there are now times when he absolutely refuses and walks away. Having not eaten well for a couple of months and lost a bit of weight he has now started to eat a bit better although not consistent.