Not eating enough

cake4tea

Jan 22, 2014
Mom came out of hospital Friday after 7 weeks due to a major bowel surgery. However, she is now not eating enough to feed a sparrow. She is 49 kg at present, being about 4 ft 11". I am worried that this may be the beginning of the end even though she is cheerful, chatty and seems happy enough. Her mobility is not as it was and she gets very tired, I know it is only a short time after such a major op at her age of 85 but any ideas on how to increase her appitite would be helpful. My sister and I care for her, me doing it full time, and we are now going to give her anything whether it is nutritional or not just to see if it helps.

Novice

May 8, 2017
Glad your Mum is out of hospital. I would think the idea of giving her anything she would eat is a good one. My brother and I care for our Mum. She is pre-diabetic and not really eating. The dr said they would be happy whatever she ate and if necessary could give tablets (which they have not had to) to sort the diabetes. I also asked for a food supplement and mum has a powdered shake which we either mix with milk to make a drink or add it to porridge or other milk puddings to fortify it. We also make milk shakes and fruit smoothies which tick both the food and drink box! Good luck :)

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Mom came out of hospital Friday after 7 weeks due to a major bowel surgery. However, she is now not eating enough to feed a sparrow. She is 49 kg at present, being about 4 ft 11". I am worried that this may be the beginning of the end even though she is cheerful, chatty and seems happy enough. Her mobility is not as it was and she gets very tired, I know it is only a short time after such a major op at her age of 85 but any ideas on how to increase her appitite would be helpful. My sister and I care for her, me doing it full time, and we are now going to give her anything whether it is nutritional or not just to see if it helps.

Hi there is a SALT team that can be referred by your mums GP they deal with speech and swallowing they are the people that you go to when food becomes a problem,they will be able to advise you on the best foods to give your mother and will have ideas to help you,scrambled eggs are packed with nutrients,also porridge which I mash in a banana with a potato masher my mother loves

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex

Hello Cake4Tea,

Dad was referred to a dietitian because of his diabetes and dementia so can't you seek advice from your GP then maybe they can get you a referral.

Good luck

MaNaAk

Pinkstuff

May 21, 2014
London
Hi i had a similar problem when my mum came out of hospital and she was referred to a dietician. They said to load as many calories into one mouthful eg put lots of butter and milk into mashed potato that way even if mum just had a bird sized portion she was getting some calories in. It was a worrying time and a lot of hit and miss in trying to entice her to eat something but we got there in the end. Good luck