Not been here for a while!!

katdan

Jan 15, 2008
Manchester
The last time I posted anything we were waiting for a diagnosis on my dad. We have been told that he has vascular dementia. He has just come out of hospital after being in for 8 weeks with a problem with his pacemaker. While he was in hospital he became very confused and now I don't know if he will be able to manage on his own at home. I visit when I am not working which is three days a week but I worry all the time about him. We have been discussing wether we should put him into a home but I do not know if this would be best for him. Can anyone give me any advice on this.

Many Thanks

Cath
:confused:

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Cath,
Poor dad...hospital would have been very disorientating for him...and it will take him time to readjust. Do you have any other carers going in to help him...or could he go for day care anywhere? How would dad feel about moving into residential care...have you discussed it with him?
It is difficult to give advice not knowing the degree of dad's confusion...if he is at risk...can you give a bit more detail...only if you want to though:)
Love Helen

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Hi Cath
Hope you sort out your problem's with Dad:)
Have you mentioned a Nursing Home to him ?
Barb & Ron X

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi katdan,

Before your dad was released from hospital he should have had some sort of care plan put together. Did any sort of review, involving a hospital social worker for example, take place prior to discharge?

Take care,

Sandy

katdan

Jan 15, 2008
Manchester
Thanks

Thanks everyone. We do have some one coming in twice a day when I cannot get to see him but it is only to make sure that he eats. He says that he is fine and can manage himself but I do worry as he does not remember if he has eaten or not. This will only last for about 6 weeks although we are seeing a occupational therapist tomorrow.

I have not spoken to dad about a home as I don't want to upset him and make hime feel as though I do not care about him. I just find it very difficult and I feel guilty that I am even thinking about putting him into a home.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976