1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Not been Down to see my Mum Since Last Friday...

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by worriedson1, Jul 10, 2015.

1. worriedson1

worriedson1 Registered User

Jan 30, 2012
    AS My Insomnia has hit HARD again and this is the worst it has been, getting out this cycle of it is proving VERY hard.

I have called the home asking how my mum is a couple of times and said about my insomnia and i said i know i shouldnt feel bad about not going down due to my insomnia but i do and a staff member said words to the effect of "No, You shouldnt and you are calling.".

Been Awake Since 7:15pm last night:(

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Don`t worry too much WS. It sounds as if your mum is well cared for and the home is good.

Sorry about the insomnia. Try playing some gentle music and counting your breaths. :)

3. worriedson1

worriedson1 Registered User

Jan 30, 2012
    Thanks for the Advice and yes my mum is looked after in a fantastic, caring manner and that is a Severe Understatement and the home is utterly fantastic.

I KNOW i shouldnt feel bad but sadly cant help it.

4. Demonica66

Demonica66 Registered User

Oct 23, 2014
    Hi WS. Sadly, the guilt-monster never seems to go away does it? No matter how much we do, how much we try or how much time we spend, if is never enough. The CH are absolutely right; you are phoning and you care. If only the weight of responsibility could be reduced. We always seem to reproach ourselves for what we DIDN'T do, rather that pay ourselves on the back for things we DID do. It's human nature to strive for success but success is not measured equally and is subjective. Be kind to yourself. You are doing more than enough. D x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

5. Lilac Blossom

Lilac Blossom Registered User

Oct 6, 2014
    Scotland
    Dear Worriedson, as everyone has said, please do not feel bad about not being able to visit your mum as you have been reassured that she is ok, well cared for in a wonderful CH.

Sorry you suffer from insomnia - I'm sure you will have tried many things to help you achieve a restful night, such as soothing music, reading, walking and above all try not to worry (easier said than done I know) Hope you can find a way to achieve a new sleep pattern.

Lilac xx

6. Miss shiraz

Miss shiraz Registered User

Dec 24, 2014
    Midlands
    It's good that you've found a suitable home for your mum as this is such a worry as you hear such awful things at times. You should take confort that she is in such a good home and I'm sure that you made sure that the home was one of the best and a suitable place for your mum.
    whilst we love our parents dearly, we are not professionals at looking after our loved ones with this awful disease.
    Why shouldn't you not visit for a week or even longer as you need to live your own life and take care of yourself. I'm sure that over the years you have provided many hours of care and support.

I find yoga a good way of relaxing and clearing my head...may be worth a try.

take care and hope sleep time comes soon....