Not an OAP yet

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Lovely to see my sister by chance this morning for the first time since lockdown. She stayed in her car so that we could have a socially distanced conversation. When I got home she had put a birthday card through my door. Sixty five and not an OAP yet as my pension will not start for another 12 months. A good start to the day. It would get better if there was any word from my wife's care home about a safe way in which we could meet. Here's hoping that the already lax attitudes and behaviours of the general public don't lead to a spike in infections.
20200531_090540.jpg

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
La Vuelta has been postponed until October. I was due to go cycling in Spain tomorrow and to attempt La Indomable sportive next weekend. All cancelled of course. My proposed 46 hour train ride across the USA in September is now looking like a bad idea. But cancelled holidays are nothing compared to what some people have gone, are going and will continue to go through.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Happy birthday, sorry you aren't off to Spain to ride your sportive - I hope you are getting some good miles in at the moment.

I really doubt the tour, vuelta or Giro are going to happen. 25th Oct will be a corker if the timetable goes ahead as planned, paris roubaix, vuelta and giro all on the same day.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Thanks all for your good wishes. I spoke to my wife's care home today. Everyone remains fine but they aren't risking any visitors as yet so I'll continue writing a weekly letter and delivering bars of chocolate. On such a lovely day a bike ride seemed like a good idea so I took a short but hilly trip into the Land of the Prince Bishops. No sightings of Dominic Cummings to report.
pb.jpg

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Thanks all for your good wishes. I spoke to my wife's care home today. Everyone remains fine but they aren't risking any visitors as yet so I'll continue writing a weekly letter and delivering bars of chocolate. On such a lovely day a bike ride seemed like a good idea so I took a short but hilly trip into the Land of the Prince Bishops. No sightings of Dominic Cummings to report.
View attachment 62606
Belated Happy Birthday. So jealous of your bike rides, I don't seem to get any time for cycling nowadays.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It is hard when other responsibilities prevent time for oneself, whether it is to ride a bike, read a book, or just doing nothing much. As my wife's care needs grew so I had less time to do anything but look after her. This led to 15 months of no cycling. Getting a carer in one day a week made a massive difference, giving me nearly 6 hours to do anything I wanted, which typically was a cycle ride When she moved to a care home I was able to combine visits to her with short solo bike ride and longer group rides on days that I did not visit. All of that is on hold whilst her home is still locked down and group riding is not possible but this will change sometime fairly soon. It is vitally important to try to get some time for your own enjoyment @White Rose

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
It is hard when other responsibilities prevent time for oneself, whether it is to ride a bike, read a book, or just doing nothing much. As my wife's care needs grew so I had less time to do anything but look after her. This led to 15 months of no cycling. Getting a carer in one day a week made a massive difference, giving me nearly 6 hours to do anything I wanted, which typically was a cycle ride When she moved to a care home I was able to combine visits to her with short solo bike ride and longer group rides on days that I did not visit. All of that is on hold whilst her home is still locked down and group riding is not possible but this will change sometime fairly soon. It is vitally important to try to get some time for your own enjoyment @White Rose
I do have a carer usually 2 mornings and 1/2 afternoons a week but there always seem to be so many other things to do - I will make an effort to incorporate some bike rides from now on though! Glad your wife is doing so well in her care home.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman