Not a fan of Christmas

Arty-girl

Jun 29, 2020
I can see a problem approaching. It's less than three months since mum died and I feel I'm coping pretty well. If sad memories arise, I have a cry as I know it is not good to bottle things up. I don't fight it, I allow it to happen which is actually most days. However, as we get nearer to Christmas, family members are beginning to invite me to stay with them over Christmas. The thing is, I am a total 'Bah Humbug' kind of person. Not at all 'peopley' and am perfectly happy with my own company. The last time I honestly enjoyed Christmas, I was in my 30's, I'm now in my 60's.

I used to love Christmas as a child. Do you remember when Christmas sort of started mid December not end of August, beginning of September? Do you remember when you only received new clothes twice a year, Whitsuntide and Christmas? Those days when you were happy with a new dolly or a new Lego set and a couple of selection boxes. I used to go the mum and dad's house over Christmas, we'd have chicken (not too keen on turkey), with veg and stuffing balls. Followed by Christmas pud, cake or mince pies, then spend the afternoon pogged out watching TV. After dad died ten years ago it was just mum and me.

I'm not a good actor and cannot act as though I am having a ball (even before grief) but I really don't want to have to sit for hours watching people take it in turns opening up mountains of prezzies (and believe me, it is mountains) and for me to open prezzies bought so that I don't feel left out and then trying to sound overjoyed. Reading through this makes me sound sooo ungrateful. I'm not ungrateful, it's just that I don't want or need gifts. I have everything that I need for now ( unless someone is willing to buy me a newer car - only kidding). The main thing I dislike about Christmas is that it is too commercial, it's almost like everyone tries to outdo each other gift-wise. I've spent the last four years doing Christmas jobs in big stores and really struggling to act 'Christmassy' when really I want to yell at the customers "Do you really need to come in at 3pm on Christmas Eve to buy something for £5 that wil break within hours?". This year I'm not going to do it, I'm going to hibernate.

My problem, therefore, is how to politely tell people I'd rather be at home without it sounding like a snub? You might be thinking "well they're grieving too" and you'd be right but they didn't spend 24/7 for 16 months caring for someone who used to be so vibrant and fun. Even typing this last sentence has brought tears to my eyes. I really just want to do my own thing over Christmas this year, is that too much to ask?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
One of the benefits of getting older is that you have earned the right to do as you please. Perfectly OK to sound upbeat when you say you are going to stay home and spoil yourself with doing the things you like. Promise to say hello and exchange wishes at a time that suits perhaps even on Face Time or similar.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Just say “Thank you for your kind invitation but I will be quite happy at home as I still find it difficult being around too many people”.

Arty-girl

Jun 29, 2020
Thankyou marionq and banjomansmate. I'll probably see them a week or two before Christmas although mum's birthday was early December, so still a struggle.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
@Arty-girl . How I agree and sympathise with you. I have, as an adult never liked Christmas for the same reasons as you.
My husband is receiving palliative care for dementia and cancer and Im pretty certain that he won’t be here for Christmas.
we always liked to spend that time together with a festive drink at the pub and a small but luxury meal.
I can see some of my family will want me to be with them rather than alone but having been widowed before in the nineties I know that you can feel very alone when everyone else are in couples, with children and grandchildren etc.
So, you must do what you are comfortable with. There will be tears on the day but I for one would like to cry them alone.
I do have a very close relationship with my younger sister and know that she will be upset too but we must do what is best for ourselves.
Take care. Sending a hug.xx

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I do agree. It used to be lovely when Christmas started in mid-December and you only heard carols in the week before. And I'd agree that presents just on birthdays and Xmas was a Good Thing. I actually watched one of those money-saving programmes on TV last night and the mum in the family admitted they rarely returned home - ever - without some new treat for the children. These days Christmas just brings another heap of stuff they don't need but insist they do...

I think your 'home alone' Christmas sounds just what you need and you should definitely do it. You know what things will help you feel better and all that false 'ooh that's a lovely bath set/scarf/brooch' stuff is maddening. But it's lovely that people arround you care and want to make sure you're included. Keep it light when you turn down their invites. Tell them no presents please, but you still expect a decent card...!

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
I’m not a fan of Christmas either @Arty-girl . Having recently lost mum, I plan to suggest small get togethers in January, after all the festive fuss is over. January can be a bleak month where company may be appreciated without all the Christmas nonsense.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i dont like christmas andv never had. i would rather stay at home with my husband. he cant cope with too many people and would rather be home. lots the artificial jolliness and families getting together when they don t get on any other time of the year. you can feel more lonely in a crowd of people than on your own. i did enjoy last year on our own as i could put my feet up and please ourselves what we do and watch. the grandkids would rather play on their screens than come and see nanny and granddad. only real thing to look forward to is our great=granddaughter being born as she is due at christmas. do wehat you would like to do and see them in the new year when festivities are bover and the hype has gone.

Feeling unsupported

Jul 9, 2021
Oh wow, I thought I was the only one that dreads Christmas :eek: I've never been keen but particularly since I lost my father on 20th Dec, 7 years ago, the memory of having to cook and entertain the family just 5 days later, is dreadful. I would just love to fly off to somewhere warm and return when it is all over. To me it is just a case of having to do what is expected. That usually means me stuck in the kitchen for days and my OH chauffeuring the family back and forth all day. I love it when it's over and I can start thinking of summer!

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
Oh wow, I thought I was the only one that dreads Christmas :eek: I've never been keen but particularly since I lost my father on 20th Dec, 7 years ago, the memory of having to cook and entertain the family just 5 days later, is dreadful. I would just love to fly off to somewhere warm and return when it is all over. To me it is just a case of having to do what is expected. That usually means me stuck in the kitchen for days and my OH chauffeuring the family back and forth all day. I love it when it's over and I can start thinking of summer!
It’s unbelievable how people expect you just to carry on as if nothing has happened.
When I lost my first husband, the first Christmas I took myself off to a beautiful snowy village in Switzerland, a favourite of ours and in spite of being on my own I absolutely loved it. No worries about cooking or presents and I even took myself cross country skiing on Christmas Day.
If you want to go to sunnier climes for Christmas just do it. Think about yourself.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
@Arty-girl I don't think you need explain anything to anyone. A simple "Thank you so much but I already have plans for Christmas". They needn't know it may involve putting your feet up in front of the tv with your favourite treat at your side.

I find people expecting to know all our reasons to be more than a little rude and annoying.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
It's not so great if you're a carer but I could be reconciling with one of my brothers this year.

MaNaAk

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
As we get older I think Christmas gets harder, we always had Christmas together as a family, and yes we had a great time, but things have changed over the last few years. The last time dad came to our house was for Christmas and he wasn't well but wanted to be there. Two days later he was admitted to hospital and he died 4 weeks later. That for me was really the beginning of the end. The next year Mum was diagnosed with dementia, came for Christmas dinner but didn't want to be here (not because of the dementia but because of a sibling being a twit) and that was the last time she came to our house.
Without being too much of a bah humbug I do like things just being me and hubby (and the dogs) where we can do what we like, when we like and have no-one to answer to.
Totally agree with what others have said," thanks for the invite but I have plans in place"
Best wishes and take care

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Hi @Arty-girl I too remember my younger days and Christmas my mum and dad didn't have much money so to get a new dolly was really exciting, sadly and selfishly I was not so excited about the second hand dolly pram to go with her because they misjudged the size and I was already a little tall for it. My favourite thing really was the Selection Box as we didn't get many sweets so was a huge treat. I loved them so much it became a tradition in my home and I always bought my children one every year. Mum and dad would sit around the repositioned dinner table playing cards Crib I think, it was the only time of the year they did that. I'm in my early 60's and I remember mum getting to a point where she found entertaining over Christmas too much and I'm definitely getting to that stage too. Last year dad had not long gone into the CH so I didn't actually see him at Christmas but left a present and card for reception to take to him I didn't think would be his last Christmas. We actually had a quiet Christmas partner and I was just the two of us and our little dog as I was not wanting to risk covid because of partner or risk my taking into CH when I could visit. As it was I caught covid from visiting dad and was very unwell but fortunately my partner didn't catch it. My partner might not be well at all as apart from his Parkinson's we are now having to go to hospital on the 18th October as a cancer is suspected so have that to face in a couple of weeks. We will only be seeing partners son this year as he didn't come last year he usually does spend a day with us over the festive season. My daughter is visiting us in November for four days so won't be here over Christmas but that's fine as will put my feet up ( hopefully) when I can and have a pretty quiet time. I would be inclined to say to everyone its really kind but that you honestly really do just want to spend time this year to reflect on the loss of your mum and you know they will understand. Stick to what you want to do there will be other times you can spend with them when things are not so raw it doesn't have to be Christmas does it.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Could you suggest that instead of giving you gifts, people make a donation to a charity of your choice in your name? I know you have everything you need but there are lots of people who are not going to have any presents at Christmas, lots of animals that need homes, and children who struggle to have enough food to eat.

One relative, now deceased always asked people to buy a goat for a struggling community in Africa instead of giving him a gift. You got a little card acknowledging the purchase and a little information about the community.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I can see a problem approaching. It's less than three months since mum died and I feel I'm coping pretty well. If sad memories arise, I have a cry as I know it is not good to bottle things up. I don't fight it, I allow it to happen which is actually most days. However, as we get nearer to Christmas, family members are beginning to invite me to stay with them over Christmas. The thing is, I am a total 'Bah Humbug' kind of person. Not at all 'peopley' and am perfectly happy with my own company. The last time I honestly enjoyed Christmas, I was in my 30's, I'm now in my 60's.

I used to love Christmas as a child. Do you remember when Christmas sort of started mid December not end of August, beginning of September? Do you remember when you only received new clothes twice a year, Whitsuntide and Christmas? Those days when you were happy with a new dolly or a new Lego set and a couple of selection boxes. I used to go the mum and dad's house over Christmas, we'd have chicken (not too keen on turkey), with veg and stuffing balls. Followed by Christmas pud, cake or mince pies, then spend the afternoon pogged out watching TV. After dad died ten years ago it was just mum and me.

I'm not a good actor and cannot act as though I am having a ball (even before grief) but I really don't want to have to sit for hours watching people take it in turns opening up mountains of prezzies (and believe me, it is mountains) and for me to open prezzies bought so that I don't feel left out and then trying to sound overjoyed. Reading through this makes me sound sooo ungrateful. I'm not ungrateful, it's just that I don't want or need gifts. I have everything that I need for now ( unless someone is willing to buy me a newer car - only kidding). The main thing I dislike about Christmas is that it is too commercial, it's almost like everyone tries to outdo each other gift-wise. I've spent the last four years doing Christmas jobs in big stores and really struggling to act 'Christmassy' when really I want to yell at the customers "Do you really need to come in at 3pm on Christmas Eve to buy something for £5 that wil break within hours?". This year I'm not going to do it, I'm going to hibernate.

My problem, therefore, is how to politely tell people I'd rather be at home without it sounding like a snub? You might be thinking "well they're grieving too" and you'd be right but they didn't spend 24/7 for 16 months caring for someone who used to be so vibrant and fun. Even typing this last sentence has brought tears to my eyes. I really just want to do my own thing over Christmas this year, is that too much to ask?
Hi. I’m slightly younger than you. Both my parents are alive but not always with it. I have for the last 38 years have always had Xmas with family. With me cooking.. This year I’m booking a table on Xmas Day at Table to table. Just not to have faff with cooking will be ideal. It will be me and mum.Lovely.. I can understand you want to be on your own. I would too.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi @Arty-girl we have a very low key Christmas, we do put the tree up but it is just us and our son since dad died. Last year I bought my husband a CD and he bought me some socks and we were both very happy. Christmas is great when you have small children but once they are grown up it all becomes very much simpler. We don't even have a traditional Christmas dinner anymore, we have an Indian takeaway and thoroughly enjoy it, my son is still at home and he is very happy with that.

I always made a bit of an effort when we were looking after dad but now I don't need to and that's okay. Also now I don't have to see my sibling and put up with the overbearing SIL either which is a real bonus.

You should do what you feel is right for you and if you want to be alone then that's fine.