Nose bleed

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
Mum's nose has started to bleed. Once yesterday and once again tonight. She is on high blood pressure tabs. Anybody had experience of this?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Yes my mother use to have nose bleeds , Not sure why thought , use to find blood on her pillow and when she blow her nose . so told her to try to not blow nose .

I know if it did not stop to pinch bottom of her nose , her siting down lower her head down between her legs till it stop bleeding . don't blow nose with paper when it stop

(Don't tilt head back as they can chock on blood )

Learn that at a course from St John ambulance first aid

If your still worry phone NHS direct for advice

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Taylorcat,

I don`t want to worry you unnecessarily but I`d make an appointment for your mum to see her GP. Better safe than sorry, especially for someone with high blood pressure.

Take care

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
Thanks, Sylvia, will tell my Dad. He says he is going to do this if it happens once more, but why do you say that, what can it be a sign of?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don`t really like to say, as I`ve no medical expertise. Also, I only have one experience of nose bleeds. But my grandmother, who also had high blood pressure had a couple of very heavy nose bleeds, and was told they were an alternative to a stroke.

I really don`t know how accurate this information is, it happened years ago, and I`d hate you to take it as Gospel. But I would suggets your mum sees her GP.

Splat88

Jul 13, 2005
Essex
My mother, who also had high blood pressure, had very severe nose bleeds that just would not stop. I used to have time to drive the 15 minutes to her house, and try to help her as she stood over the sink in the bathroom for another half hour or so until they stopped.
Even though she was on Warfarin, and you would have thought the hospital would worry, we were always told that they were not regarded as a problem until you could say the blood would fill a tissue box!!!

It was frightening for my mum, who didn't have AD, so I can imagine what its like. Eventually, the medics cauterised a recalcitrant vein in mum's nose., but they still persisted. A sad end to the story is that she was so fed up with the nose bleeds, unbeknown to us she stopped the warfarin and died a month later after a blood clot in her stomach detroyed her bowel.

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
Dad just phoned to say Mum's nose was bleeding again so he phoned GP who said that it was most likely to be a tear in her nostril since it was only lasting for a minute or so and she was already on high blood pressure tabs. I've to pick up a prescription for ointment today. GP seems to think it's nothing to worry about. I must say GP he spoke to is very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Norcliffe