Norovirus in care home

mousehold

Mar 25, 2015
Norfolk
I went to visit mum today and there was a notice up saying there was an outbreak of norovirus - it seems it is quite rampant and some staff have it too. I could'nt go in as I have no immune system (transplant meds) but apparently they are trying to keep people in their rooms. My mum is one of the two who wander around constantly. Does anyone have any info about this scenario? I got quite a shock it is all new to me. Thanks.

Annie

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I went to visit mum today and there was a notice up saying there was an outbreak of norovirus - it seems it is quite rampant and some staff have it too. I could'nt go in as I have no immune system (transplant meds) but apparently they are trying to keep people in their rooms. My mum is one of the two who wander around constantly. Does anyone have any info about this scenario? I got quite a shock it is all new to me. Thanks.

Annie

My Mom's new home got the bug last month, suspected to be from a visiting health professional who had visited an infected home days before. Not a lot you can do apart from let it run its course :eek: which for most residents was a couple of uncomfortable days but the home was closed for almost 2 weeks till given the all clear.

Just tell all your Mum's visitors to stay away till it's gone as the staff will have more than enough to do.

Hope she gets through it OK.:)

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
When this was in my husband's care home, I respected the wishes of the care home and stayed away. By keeping the residents in their rooms as much as possible isolates the germs and prevents it spreading. It sounds like it's being well managed to me.

I hope your mum doesn't get it.

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
My mum's carehome was closed until 48 hours after the last episode from staff or residents. Apparently my mum had it but couldn't remember! It could take quite a while and it is best to keep away but they shouldn't be letting anyone in at all unless in emergencies.

Perdita

Jun 22, 2009
Suffolk, Uk
When my mum's care home had it , they didn't tell me until I asked where everyone was. I went to see mum in her room for a few minutes, and by the next afternoon it had hit me. It's the most awful thing, i really wanted to die.

mousehold

Mar 25, 2015
Norfolk
i had no idea ...

that it was so rampant, but of course thinking about it it is the perfect environment for a virus to go wild. I am so glad I didn't go in as wanted just to pop in but now I hear from you that that alone is enough to pick it up. I would be back in Addenbrookes if I got it as had a liver transplant 7 months ago and am on v strong immune suppressants. It is hard to get through on the phone to ask about mum now (they have stopped visitors now) because of course they are so busy, 3 more staff off yesterday. Who would have thought a health worker would bring it in? I hate to think of her in there away from her home surrounded by illness, it's so utterly depressing. I think I am behind on how things are with her illness as I keep wishing I could take her back home put her on sofa with biscuit tin and tv, it is really breaking my heart.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
It is so hard when you can't visit, but I am sure the staff are doing all they can to keep your mum happy and comfortable.

Unfortunately norovirus is so contagious that it passes easily, and with your health it would certainly be very unwise. You need to stay strong so when it has cleared you can get back to visiting mum as before.

Try to think positively that each day is a day nearer to it being clear.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
This is a very scary bug. In the days when I worked at my local hospital radio station, I didn't even visit the hospital due to the work I was doing in the studio. (This is going back a lot of years). The bug had obviously got into the hospital again, and all it took for me to cop it was a hug from a friend. Just a hug.

Took me weeks to get over that one. Better to stay away and stay well so you can visit your loved ones when the all clear has been given.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
A carer/visitor/tradesman or a new resident.....all likely sources of the virus. There is no treatment for the majority, just fluids and hygiene....hand washing is the greatest preventative, but also one of the hardest things to put into practice amongst residents who are convinced that bathing once in a blue moon equals regular hygiene!!:eek:

I was told that a minimum of 48 hours without symptoms before a worker or visitor should return.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I was told that a minimum of 48 hours without symptoms before a worker or visitor should return.

That was what we were told. Strange really that Roger avoided this infection and then within days picked up a chest infection which was too much for his body to take.

mousehold

Mar 25, 2015
Norfolk
thanks everyone re norovirus

It is so helpful to read all your comments, I feel less alone. The home tells me it was clear but one member of staff was being sent home as she spoke to me on the phone. I suppose if it spreads slowly it can last for ages, she said only 3 of the staff hadn't got it so far. My mum fell on her back by completely missing the chair and also her hugely swollen legs are worse and yet she is still wandering around, they have got worse and have to be dressed but she will take the dressings off almost straight away. I am going to start a thread about vision if there isn't one already, that is another problem I don't understand.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
My husband's NH went down with the bug last Christmas Day - I caught it and was not able to visit until New Year's Day. He died on the 10th January and I so regret the loss of the week I was not able to see him but it is such an horrible bug although husband did not catch it as he had stopped being able to wander the corridors by then. Use the time off from visiting to have a good rest as you sound as though you need it to keep yourself as healthy as possible following your transplant. I would say that my husband's eyesight and hearing both deteriorated quite quickly as the dementia worsened.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peanutbrain