Normal?

Jaffy

Oct 24, 2013
Ohio USA
My hubby will not doctor. His good friend called me today and said, "I believe (my hubby) has ALZ" How relieved I was that someone beside me and our 4 adult children, see it! Admittedly he has essential tremors that is worsening, But I believe (and so do the kids) that he has Parkinson (I do, so I know something about it). The kids say "Dad is worse than you, Mom!" He is really getting anger issues, I could have left him 3 times in the last 18 days over it! His conversations are begun with whatever is on his mind, in the middle of his own private paragraph! We may be talking about the weather when at a slight pause, he says, "so, avoided that intersection and went..." or something similar. He wants to move into a 10X30 Amish built cabin but he wants me to move there too! Why so small? So we only have to have one outside door and fewer windows! It is becoming very hard to make sense of him and I get the blame! I let almost everything slide unless he insists on my answer, then I have to figure out - by asking him - what we are talking about. Is this normal?

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
No, it isn't, of course..
I have been trying to get used to abnormality , but it is hard to cope with.
I am starting to consider normal what is not normal at all and I feel as if I am living in different world.
I read an interesting and wise suggestion here on TP, by @nitram , " If your PWD can't enter your world, try to enter theirs ".

Last edited:

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Jaffy, I too have to deal with occasions when my wife will make random statements that come out of the blue and are often a rant about some thing or person that doesn’t relate to our current situation. Sometimes I can figure out what/who she’s talking about and other times I can be left bewildered or cold shouldered because she can’t or won’t answer my request for more information.

I often make a neutral, whatever, style reply and just move on quickly but it’s a situation that will only get more difficult. As I’ve often said, life with dementia can be an emotional roller coaster.

It’s a pity that your husband won’t attend the doctor as Parkinson’s can accompany dementia and a diagnosis would help the understanding of what you have to deal with.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976