Non stop talking

Snowdrops77

Feb 20, 2019
Hello, I havnt posted anything for a while. Mum has Alzhiemers and vascular Dementia, is still living with me nearly 3 years now. Mum has started talking continuously non stop, even while eating and drinking ! She talked for 19hours no sleep then slept solid for 12hours. Most nights talking whilst sleeping is that even possible! She hasn't got UTI. Does anyone else experience this ? Thank you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I haven`t experienced this @Snowdrops77 but can imagine how wearing it is both for you and your Mum.

Have you asked for medical advice about it? It could be a case of extreme anxiety and will surely be exhausting for your mum. Perhaps a light sedative, given on a temporary basis might help her lose the habit.

Snowdrops77

Feb 20, 2019
I haven`t experienced this @Snowdrops77 but can imagine how wearing it is both for you and your Mum.

Have you asked for medical advice about it? It could be a case of extreme anxiety and will surely be exhausting for your mum. Perhaps a light sedative, given on a temporary basis might help her lose the habit.

Hello Grannie G
Yes I have spoken to her mental health nurse and she liases with gp and consultant. I have asked for a sedative for her. Mum used to be on half a lorazapam on an as and when basis but after her respite in a care home they took it away. I want it reinstated but consultant has refused. Mum is on a low dose Risperidone for her agitation and aggression which has always worked very well for her. Mum did not cope at all well in the care home.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Hello, I havnt posted anything for a while. Mum has Alzhiemers and vascular Dementia, is still living with me nearly 3 years now. Mum has started talking continuously non stop, even while eating and drinking ! She talked for 19hours no sleep then slept solid for 12hours. Most nights talking whilst sleeping is that even possible! She hasn't got UTI. Does anyone else experience this ? Thank you.
Hi @Snowdrops77 - I have recently experienced exactly the same. (There is another thread here on a similar topic, but I can't find it just now.) 4 weeks of Mum talking non-stop (often in French!), unable to stop to eat / drink / clean her teeth. And yes! talking in her sleep too :(.
I would desribe it as a mania.

She was already on Mirtazipine, Quetiapine and as-and-when Lorazepam, for anxiety, crying and sleeping problems. The Quetiapine dose was increased, and she now has Lorazepam 0.5mg every night. It has taken a couple of weeks, but the situation has gradually returned to some sort of normal. It was extremely wearing for me, and utterly exhausting for Mum.

We are under GP care, and they were happy to increase the doses, so it may be worth speaking directly to you mum's doctor, rather than mental health team. I have only had one experience of our MH department, when Mum's new GP referred her, and they were utterly useless - refusing to prescribe / adjust any of Mum's medications (none are dementia drugs). I went back to a different GP at our surgery, who reviewed her drugs and adjusted accordingly. It's not acceptable for them simply to leave your mum like this.

Snowdrops77

Feb 20, 2019
Thank you, this week I have put my case forward for a medication reveiw, to Gp and consultant. I have asked for her Lorazapam to be reinstated. Also how unfair it is to leave my mum in this state. It amazes me how my mum can function on such little sleep. I am struggling. The meeting with the mental health team was on Wednesday, fingers crossed.
It doesn't help matters when my two waking nights from a care agency let you down ! That's yet another issue.