Non stop eating sweet food

doobedoo

Dec 4, 2014
Lincolnshire
Not sure what I can do or if anyone can offer some advice but husband is driving me mad constantly raiding cupboards looking for anything sweet to eat. So far today he's had a whole packet of biscuits, 4 cakes, a mars bar, and a bar of chocolate and he's now on his third pudding after dinner and I know it will continue tonight. I've tried not buying things, but he just gets cross about it so I've given in. Luckily he's really skinny but not sure for how much longer the amount he is eating. He was diagnosed with Frontotemperal lobe dementia, and I have read that wanting sweet food is a symptom. He eats most things, except I have noticed he's not eating so many vegetables. I've suggested an apple or orange, but he doesn't want them he wants sugary things. I'm at my wits end to know how to stop him. And the above list of sugary food for today is just what I've seen!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The SALT teamed explained that this craving for sweetness is often due to the fact that sweetness is the last taste to go, without sweetness there is no taste sensation.

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
The SALT teamed explained this craving for sweetness is often due to the fact that sweetness is the last taste to go, without sweetness there is no taste sensation.

I didn't know that was the last taste to go, Nitram. Pete never ever ate puddings when he was well. As his Dementia increased so did his desire for sweet things:eek: Good to have an explanation-thank you

doobedoo

Dec 4, 2014
Lincolnshire
Thank you for that Nitram, I had no idea either and will look into it in more detail. O/h also has no sense of smell due to major nasal problems and operations over the years. I've always thought that taste and smell are related so will get researching. Today so far seems a good day nothing sugary has passed his lips, he does have bad days and good days as far as sweet food is concerned and I'm keeping a diary to see whether it correlates to his good and bad days with memory, behaviour etc.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Thank you for that Nitram, I had no idea either and will look into it in more detail. O/h also has no sense of smell due to major nasal problems and operations over the years. I've always thought that taste and smell are related so will get researching. Today so far seems a good day nothing sugary has passed his lips, he does have bad days and good days as far as sweet food is concerned and I'm keeping a diary to see whether it correlates to his good and bad days with memory, behaviour etc.

I read somewhere that most of what we think we taste, we actually smell. That's why we may feel food has lost its flavour when we have a bad, bunged-up cold.

jen54

May 20, 2014
my mum swears she hasnt a sweet tooth and is on a "diet" she seems to have gone back to her 50's where she was always on a diet! she also insisted she didn't eat dinner till 7pm - BUT, she constantly eats sweet stuff, if there is nothing there she will say she hasn't anything to eat that is "nice"- I try to buy healthy sweet stuff like cereal bars, go ahead bars..fruit stuff and yogurts :( it is hard as she will rummage through cupboards looking and I hate the idea she is alone in the evenings looking for something to eat as she seems to find comfort in having a nibble of something nice- I try to take enough to last a few days each visit..as if I take a weeks supply..it will go in a couple of days!! so has to be rationed so she isn't over eating. same as sherry, she does like a tipple in the evenings, but left with a full bottle she will drink as much as she can before falling asleep!as she doesn't recall how much she is drinking- so we have to ration her so she can have a couple of glasses every other night - as soon as we leave she will find the bottle and start drinking, and when I took her shopping the other day while I went to do her gardening she raided the sweet stuff!! though she hasn't a clue as she was asking who had put the rubbish on the drainer, and that she didn't eat cereal bars or cake :S