non-drug treatment

golfball44

May 28, 2016
Hi my wife has recently been told she has Dementia, she has been a Diabetic for many years, which she takes many drugs & insulin for, with many side affects , she was offered Memantine as treatment, but because of its side affects, we have decided to try non-drug treatments, has any one tried this method .

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi golfball44
welcome to the forum - it's a really good place to come to ask any questions and share your experiences

my dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and prescribed Aricept (Donepezil) and tolerated it well for some years - though he doesn't have diabetes

I'm not sure about non-drug treatments - do you have some in mind?

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Yes, while my late wife was in my care she managed fine in her final six years without medicine for Alzheimer's. When first diagnosed she was prescribed Prozac. I saw little point in that and discontinued it.

Like many others I chose to live in denial in her early stages until our Daughter insisted on a check-up. The illness lasted 13/14 years.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband has no Alzheimer drugs because of his slow heart beat. In the last year however he has been taking Trazadone and Zopiclone to calm down his wandering tendencies and to help him sleep. This has been successful so far. He is about late moderate stage.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi thank you for your reply, my wife on Sertraline .

Hi Golfball, welcome to TP

Sorry but I don't understand Sertraline is a medicine (an antidepressant) I thought you wanted to avoid medicines is the intention to stop taking it?
As for none medical treatments, who knows? There are things out there that are said to work like coconut oil and turmeric to name just 2 but who knows if they work or not, the only way to find out would be clone your wife and do a controlled trial.
What is known is that things like Donepezil and Memantine have been tested and the group that took them outperformed the group that didn't so not taking them probably isn't the best idea.
K