Nolonger Victims

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Just an idle thought as I have been sitting here reading some posts.
I think that one of the strengths of TP is that it teaches us nolonger to be victims of dementia. How many of you have found TP when you have been feeling at the end of your tether? I know I did. How long after joining TP have you felt empowered to do something? Strange how a screen and a keyboard can give such strength to so many of us. Just shows the importance of having easy access to information, the importance of knowing that we are being heard, and the comfort that we can receive just from knowing that complete strangers (who it is likely we will never meet), care. TP, a strange phenomenon, but a powerful beast!
Love Helen

Grandaughter 1

Jan 17, 2006
Hampshire
I love the fact that I can come on here and find I'm not the only one having problems, there are plenty of others who are going through the same thing or have had similar experiences.

It is also great to be able to "get things off your chest" without burdening relatives who are going through the mill too.

Louise x

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Your so right................i felt a victim of something i didn't understand and i stumbled across tp while searching the internet for information on dementia, while i was at my lowest point...................the old saying comes to mind........a problem shared is a problem halved..........its even better to half your problems with people who through similar experiences, really understand how you feel!

Love Alex x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Oh yes, I do so agree. When my mother first had her strokes I scurried all over the internet trying to find... well, I'm not sure what I was trying to find. Support, information? I came across several boards, and posted on a few of them, but this is the only one that has become a regular feature. Partly because, although mummy doesn't have AD, there are a number of people here who have experienced vascular dementia, and partly, perhaps mostly, because there are a large enough number of posters. On other boards of this type, there are quite often not enough posters to really say anything new, and also, many of those boards are more "fact" based rather than emotional support based, if you see what I mean.

Sometimes, you just want to talk, or rather type, to someone who knows where you're coming from.

Jennifer

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
What a good thought, Amy. Although six years into AD, I joined because things were suddenly happening, too quickly for me to cope with on my own, and certainly too quickly for SS to rally its support.

Thank goodness I found you, TPer have given me so much helpful advice and emotional support. You're all great!

Skye

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
I quite agree Helen

I found TP at a time when I was feeling very isolated and lonely, despite a very supportive and loving family.

Here, I found that I could say exactly how I felt without being judged, there is always at least one other person who is feeling, or has felt the same way.

It has been my lifebelt in the stormy AD sea.

Kathleen

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
The great thing about TP is that you actually find out things here, that come from such a personal view point.

Through reading lots of different posts, I sort of know what to expect with Mum as she progesses through AD and although I'm not looking forward to it, I don't think anything will scare me now.

When I read what some people on TP have been through, and are still going through, it does help to make me feel stronger and more able to cope.

So a big thankyou to everyone on TP who has posted.

Libs

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
When my husband was first diagnosed, well meaning family and friends advised me to get out and meet people with the same problems, in Support Groups. What they failed to see was how difficult it is to get out anywhere, alone, leaving a confused and depressed husband by himself, likely to panic at the most trivial unexpected happening.

Talking Point provides that Support Group, without having to leave the house. We can log on when we need it, and leave it if anything that needs our attention crops up. It is there 24/7 without arrangements having to be made, people informed or appointments kept. It is there for OUR convenience and is a life saver.

Thanks to all of you who Post and Respond.

Sylvia

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
I would have found it a hundred times more difficult to cope without TP. Its been a total life saver for me. Over the weeks and months I have read so many posts and thought to myself it isn't just me/us going through bad times. I have had fantastic support and advice from TP friends, I have been able to rant frustration, share awful times, my own confusion etc. etc. Thank you all.
Cate

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Grannie G said:
Talking Point provides that Support Group, without having to leave the house. We can log on when we need it, and leave it if anything that needs our attention crops up. It is there 24/7 without arrangements having to be made, people informed or appointments kept.

I second that Sylvia. That for me is the real beauty of TP. When dad was diagnosed I was told about all the support groups ..... the programmes looked good ...... but I could get to any of them because of work committments. I also rather like being able to log in in my pyjamas and with a cat on my knee :)

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Amy said:
Strange how a screen and a keyboard can give such strength to so many of us.

Tell it to one whose screen and keyboard are about as useful as a chocolate tea-pot just now!!!!:p Helen, I nearly posted something last week about how much I have valued TP since I HAVEN'T got immediate access 24/7 ... a bit of that 'Don't know what you've got til it's gone' feeling....

I know someone asked how I found time to write any poetry with life in turmoil ... what do you think I'm doing when I need a good bash at the keybaord and have to make do with scribbling pad and pen ????... only to find there's little comfort in writing until I've launched my thoughts into cyber-space.

I confess over the last couple of weeks I have at times recognised a slip towards depression - somehow I've battled it (I think) but not as easily as I would have had I been 'on-line'.

I miss the 'immediacy' of TP to have a rant, a scream, a cry - and even the much needed good laugh ..... Most of all being without TP has highlighted just how isolated one can feel even amongst friends who understand little of what the 'virtual friends' do here.... I had almost forgotten how bad life was pre-TP support.

Love to you all, Karen (TF), x

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Grannie G said:
When my husband was first diagnosed, well meaning family and friends advised me to get out and meet people with the same problems, in Support Groups. What they failed to see was how difficult it is to get out anywhere, alone, leaving a confused and depressed husband by himself, likely to panic at the most trivial unexpected happening.

Talking Point provides that Support Group, without having to leave the house. We can log on when we need it, and leave it if anything that needs our attention crops up. It is there 24/7 without arrangements having to be made, people informed or appointments kept. It is there for OUR convenience and is a life saver.

Sylvia[/Q

Hi Sylvia like you I have been told to go to Support groups and also have the same problems with my husband. At the moment I am trying to deal with the fact my husband has come to the conclusion that he is slowly dying and what do I say in resonse to that without making him feel worse.I have come on TP because I feel very low at the moment and when I read some of the posts I can see that there many worse off than me and I am amazed how they cope, God bless them all
ROSEANN

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Karen

Believe me, we miss you as much as you miss us. Hope you get your computer fixed soon, we need you!

Love, Skye

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london

Sylvia

As the Quote buttom not working I put it in Bold .

I Just like to say I 2nd 3rd 4 th :) what Sylvia said as same go for me .