Noisy care home

maudy62

Sep 3, 2019
My mum was admitted to a Nursing Home from hospital. She has bone cancer which has now affected her brain and is nearing the end of her life. I'm very concerned about the levels of noise from other residents who are in adjacent rooms. They shout loudly most of the day and night and my mum is very upset with this as the staff don't seem bothered about how this affects her. My mum is very frail and bed bound as are the others. I'm at my wits end as to what to do. Any advice would be welcome. Thank you

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My wife's shouted and she's been in the home for over 3 years, its her home now, yes she shouts and is put in one of the more distant rooms, the people on EOL care usually get a room nearer the office.
I have to accept the conduct of the other residents as it's their home too, some for over 10 years, so it is what it is, EMI nursing homes take people with both dementia and nursing needs, that's the way it is.
People with AZ A can't be held responsible for there actions, it sounds like your mum might be better off in a hospice.
I know from visitors that 3 resident's in care with my wife have cancer, I understand from conversations with the manager and the nurses that it's actually double that, but they're not allowed to say what the actual number is who have cancer but I would suspect it's about 6 of the 30 people in there.
At the middle of next week my wife has to go for tests, it's suspected ovarian cancer, due to vaginal bleeding, but all I want is for stay in her home with me and all the other people there that love her and not get kicked of because some newcomer doesn't like her random shoutouts.
K

Last edited by a moderator:

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to DTP @Gsarvas62

I know how disturbing constant noise can be. My dad lived quietly at home until he went into an EMI home and he would get quite distressed by some of the other residents shouting. But his room was quiet and he could go there when it all got too much for him.

Have you spoken to the manager? I built up a good relationship with dad's carehome manager even though he was only there for a few weeks before he died and both she and I were comfortable with asking if changes could be made. Dad moved rooms twice in his short stay there once at my request to a bigger room that became available and the second time to a room near the lift (at the manager's request) as his mobility declined and he became wheelchair bound.
There may be other quiet residents in the home so you mum could be moved next to them.

The staff are probably accustomed to the noise and it may not have occurred to them how much it upsets your mum.

If nothing can be done then perhaps a move to another home could be considered.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to DTP, @Gsarvas62. Sorry your mum is so ill and her nursing home is being unsympathetic. I can't stand noise and my partner gets terribly upset by it too, so know how you feel.
Would you be able to move your mum again to a quieter hospice setting as Kevin suggests ? That is more disruption though. Have you spoken to the nursing home manager or just the staff? Sorry, I'm not much help.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Gsarvas62

I really feel for your concern regarding your mum`s sensitivity to noise. I`m another who finds noisy areas offensive.

Care homes are catering for people who are all really poorly and have many different ways of displaying their distress. In my mind the noisiest ones may be the most tormented and if my husband had been one of them I would have been in pieces.

If a quieter room cannot be found for your mother, perhaps Hospice care may be the best if you can access it for her.

I know you want the best for your mother and it must hurt you dreadfully to see her so upset. Perhaps you could have another quiet word with the staff, to see if perhaps there is a room available which is further away from the noise of explore the possibility of Hospice care. .

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
or have you chosen the wrong home?
Sorry, Kevinl I think you are wrong, people often do not have a choice, you look at the building, the staff, the state of the carpets and such like. Few get the opportunity to actually stay in a home for a whole day and see what it is really like. Then you have the added problem that for most people it is an entirely new thing and they simply do not have the skills and experience to make the correct choice.

Last edited:

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
With regards choice, you also have to bear in mind that if you are not self funding you are unlikely to have any choice. From personal experience when they want people out of hospital they get placed where there is a care home bed available, suitable or not. We had the opposite problem and mum was placed on a quiet palliative care floor when she needed stimulation and activities. She was moved shortly after so as has been suggested, have a chat with the care home manager to see if a move to a quieter area is possible.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH has never been able to stand noise. I think he must have super sensitive hearing. Noise would upset him immensely so it is something that I would now ask about. However as Alex has said it's not easy to detect. It's like buying a new house and then realising at rush hour it's a rat run but you never viewed the house at that time.

As others suggest I would speak with the management and ask if there is a quieter area your mum could be moved to. I'm guessing this happening in her own room a not the lounge or communal areas? There are a number of older threads about noise.

Hope you can find a solution to help settle your mum. Good luck.