Noise

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Interesting. I like a bit a background noise most of the time but my dad would switch off the telly and sit in silence.

I wonder at what point the ability to filter out sounds decreases with dementia?

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Yes, I wonder too. When we had teenagers I would sometimes go in the bedroom put on soft music and read.
The volume just loud enough to blot out the house sounds.
When I have drifted to sleep with the radio on the dialogue has impinged into my dreams. So I am sure noise and actions can have an impact on those we care for, especially when they can no longer rationalise the meaning.
When in a quiet place I like simple silence.

Bunpots point about filtering is interesting when as a child I was deep in a book I just didn't hear at all even an angry parent. So it probably diminishes even more with dementia added to age.

I have read about the overload of the senses is just too much to cope with rather as with those on the artistic spectrum.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
People with dementia tend to be of an age when they have some hearing loss, so that may add to the problems of filtering/decoding noise.

But I think it varies. In the care home main lounge there is almost always background noise - either music playing or the TV. In a CH you can't organise silence, there will always be carers and residents talking, and having music on tends to 'smooth out the sounds' in the way Alice mentioned she did as a teenager. Almost all the residents seem to like/ignore the background music, there are only two I'm aware of who move to a quieter area. My mother loves it, and sings or chats along to herself.

AliceA

May 27, 2016

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH definitely gets stimulus overload - too much noise, too bight a light, too many people, too much going on.
OH, doesnt even like music playing and sometimes I will have the television on, go to the loo and when I get back discover that he has switched it off! At least in the house silence can be organised.

patbryn

Mar 22, 2019
Wales
My OH definitely gets stimulus overload - too much noise, too bight a light, too many people, too much going on.
OH, doesnt even like music playing and sometimes I will have the television on, go to the loo and when I get back discover that he has switched it off! At least in the house silence can be organised.
I think in this world we can all suffer from this?
for yourself perhaps some headphones so you can still enjoy the tele or music?

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It does seem that the world is just one big noise sometimes. I don't have problems with city street noises of traffic etc but have walked by stores because the music is so loud. I prefer to work in silence (well, not counting me talking to myself, which I do quite a bit :)) but when it was permitted, nearly all my co-workers wanted a radio on. One was quite flabbergasted when I said, no, I didn't want radio through my telephone. She couldn't understand I preferred silence.

When alone at home, I rarely have the TV or radio or music on. I do like silence.