Noise-making

Ptal

Jan 18, 2022
I had a question which I could not find any information on the forum. My dad has dementia and is continuously making loud noises like "ba ba da da" and random vocalization. He is doing this the whole time and is not stopping. Has anyone come across this kind of vocalization and noise-making symptoms in patients with dementia? Does anyone know the reason? Can anyone advise on how to manage this?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Ptal Welcome.

I wonder if there is anything in the linked factsheet on changes and challenges in behaviour which will help you.

It`s really irritating to live with these challenges. If the person with dementia is unaware of their behaviours they are unlikely to be able to cooperate and tone them down.

It does seem to be caused by anxiety.

This section is about repetitive behaviour

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Is your dad able to speak at all now @Ptal ?
If not then it is probably aphasia - they are no longer able to form words and just make these babbling noises - a bit like a young toddler before they learn to speak (except its the other way round, if you see what I mean).
I remember hearing a lady in mums care home who did this. She understood most of what was said to her, but when she tried to talk all that came out were the noises exactly as you have described.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Ptal
A warm welcome from me too

There were people in dad's care home who vocalised this way, the staff were mindful that the person might be in distress or pain eg toothache but checked and there were no other signs of being anxious or hurting ... it seemed as though it was a comforter, a bit like singing or whistling to yourself
I don't think there's a way to stop or manage this ... maybe offer regular small drinks and snacks to give something else to do with his mouth ... I wonder whether putting on favourite songs to 'sing' along to might help

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
My mum went through a long (and I mean weeks) phase of non stop talking. She could not allow silence she HAD to make noise. Even if she just read the time out loud over and over and over, or told us what her name is over and over.

Could this be the same thing? We just “rode the storm” so to speak. Eventually she just stopped, no trigger, no reason. Just got up one morning and it was about 2 hours before she said anything more than “good morning” to anyone.

We still have no idea of the cause.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
My mother didn't struggle to speak until her last couple of weeks (when she just went very quiet) but the other residents in her care home did. I visited mum for 3 years and during that time there were many residents (who came and went) who had various vocal 'issues'. Some were just very limited in what they said, others were 'shouters' which was sometimes an issue. If residents were in the lounge and a particular man was there, it caused problems! A couple of ladies would continually tell him to 'shut up!' because he would loudly and suddenly make the sort of sounds you describe @Ptal

There was a man in the room next to mum's for a while and he scared me! He was constantly shouting, 'Help! Police!' Get them off me! **** off you *********! Help me!' The staff did their best to calm him and he was (I was told) much worse when they tried to move him or do personal care, but it was distressing for me next door, hearing all this and knowing I could not respond to his desperate cries for help. I was going to complain on mum's behalf but she wasn't bothered by it. She once said to me, 'That silly man next door is always singing at the top of his voice...' so I didn't bother! He was only there a short time...

But loud noises/incoherent sounds/paucity of speech are very much part of the later stages. I honestly don't know how anyone lives with it - I take my hat off to you.

Ptal

Jan 18, 2022
Thank you everyone for your input. Looks like it is a common symptom with people with dementia. It is really difficult for my mom as she is the only one taking care of my dad. I guess we have to come up with ways to calm him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Overwhelmed that's me