Noise Disturbance

macatac

Nov 9, 2014
North Wales
My mum has alzheimers,came to live with me and my partner around 4-5 months ago. She has just had her first appointment at the memory clinic since moving here,is being referred to social services,and my partner and I have requested a carer assessment. We live in a ground floor flat,and living above us in flats 2 and 3 are a couple of tenants who just dont get along. One will start loud banging late at night or in the early hrs,the other will retaliate and do the same. The noise is horrendous, and I have reported it many times to the housing association, who dont seem to care less. We are on the transfer list for a bungalow,but in band 2,not the priority 1 banding. The noise is so bad it scares the living daylights out of my mum,aand at times causes her to have involuntary shakes,it takes her hrs to get back to sleep,although on a couple of occasions she has been unable to go back to sleep,and I have had to stay up the whole night with her. Could social services or the memory clinic,write to the housing in order to persuade them to put us in the top banding for our transfer? Up to now,my partner and I have no support whatsoever in the caring we do for my mother,we are all together 24/7 and we dont get the slightest break.

opaline

Nov 13, 2014
I would phone the police as soon as any noise starts as this is against the law. You also need to get on to the local council as they can monitor noise in flats and evict unruly tenants. Does the housing association know the situation with your mum? The problem with telling social services is that they are not there to hear it whereas the police will be and should be able to get the wheels turning for you, x

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Illegal to create noise between 11pm and 7 am which is stupid in the modern 24/7 society where people may need bed rest at all hours of day.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
It is horrible when this happens.
The Police do not normally get involved but it is always well worth calling them on 101 to get it logged and also recorded if it can be heard in the background. (Using a mobile phone where it is loudest helps).

The noise could be classed as a "statutory nuisance" and if you report it to your local council they have a duty to investigate.

Keep a written report of every time it happens, including past events. Include times, levels and distress caused. From now on actually keep a sound recording of all the events.

Good luck :)

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
It is horrible when this happens.
The Police do not normally get involved but it is always well worth calling them on 101 to get it logged and also recorded if it can be heard in the background. (Using a mobile phone where it is loudest helps).

The noise could be classed as a "statutory nuisance" and if you report it to your local council they have a duty to investigate.

Keep a written report of every time it happens, including past events. Include times, levels and distress caused. From now on actually keep a sound recording of all the events.

Good luck :)

Found the council helpful with a noisy dog next door. Good luck.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I have just stayed with dad for 10 days/nights in hospital, it was very difficult to try to stop him leaving the ward, trying to calm him when he was getting angry simply because he didn't understand and was frightened all the time. The last night of his stay a young woman with special needs screamed non stop from 10pm til Midnight, she couldn't help it, but the noise was overwhelming. Dad although end of moderate dementia lives in a nursing home where on his floor, it is fairly calm and peaceful most of the time, yes sometimes a few residents explode but not over a sustained period. The effect of this young woman on dad was disturbing - he gradually became more and more agitated the longer it went on - it really struck home to me the effect of continuous noise especially another person screaming loudly on him probably because although I was trying to reassure him, he couldn't understand or make sense.

macatac

Nov 9, 2014
North Wales
Been happening again today. Rang housing,housing officer unavailable, had to leave voice message. Heard nothing back. One of the flats has had noise monitors in,housing aware of my mums illness, but nothing seems to be getting done to resolve this problem.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Been happening again today. Rang housing,housing officer unavailable, had to leave voice message. Heard nothing back. One of the flats has had noise monitors in,housing aware of my mums illness, but nothing seems to be getting done to resolve this problem.

Unfortunately it takes evidence. :( Is it the local council you left a message with?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger