noise as a problem

pinkjandt

Apr 11, 2008
hampshire
Hi

Has anyone else found that loud noises, music,even children playing causes a problem.

Terry flinches when we are in any situation that has sharp or sudden sounds.

i am not sure if this is a symptom or just old age!!!

i would be interested to know if it is related to AD

THANK YOU
Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Jan.

My husband is much more sensitive to noise since AD. I don`t think it is old age.

He often tells me not to shout when I don`t think I am shouting, and if I get excited about anything he asks me to lower my voice then too.

I don`t know if it`s connected, but sometimes I enter the room or speak to him and I make him jump. I feel awful then as I feel he must have been locked in his own world.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I think it may well be a part of the disease, as my mother hated noise. She would say about another resident "I wish she would shut up" and also tell the person that. She always liked things quiet but became even more so with her AD. I think perhaps because she couldn't understand and so people speaking or whatever it was would annoy her immensely.

Now that she is so far into her disease, it doesn't matter any more.

ishard

Jul 10, 2007
Yes my mum too is sensitive to noise and can get very agitated when the television is loud.

maria29al

Mar 15, 2006
Warwickshire
My Mum too....television, radio in the car....whereas before she would always have the television on quite loud!!

She will tell people off for being noisy too!!!....lack of inhibitions!!!:D

M

Scoop

Nov 20, 2006
My Dad is exactly the same, kids being noisey, me drilling a wall etc, makes him very agitated but only since the dementia has progressed, so I'd say it's definatley another sympton.

pinkjandt

Apr 11, 2008
hampshire
Hello
Thank you for your replies,it does make social activities a bit of an embarrasing experience

Terry makes loud tutting noises and exaggerated sighs.

I never know if i should try to explain or whether that seems disloyal
i hope everyone has a good day
Jan

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Yes, several of the men that go to Vic's memory club have the same problem..thankfully he hasn't he has always been able to "shut off":rolleyes:

Did you decide to go to Weymouth and re charge your batteries?

Linda x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
An associated problem is the inability to differentiate between sounds.

In a cafe, Jan would hear the background noise, traffic noise etc seemingly at the same volume as when I talked to her, and she could not make out what I said.

One problem not associated that we had was that, because of her early dementia, people - including her GP - would talk slowly and in a loud voice, as if she were an idiot. Neither of us liked that!

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Jan

Yes my dad too has issues wih noise. He reacts very badly to a noisy environment. We discovered, failry early on after his diagnosis, that he had a very acute sense of hearing. He seemed to be able to listen in on even very quiet conversations! To this day I am not sure whether he always had this ability or whether it was dementia induced. It was certainly more obvious after diagnosis.
take care
hendy

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
When Mum was in hospital and then moved into the NH almost 5 years ago she hated noise. I think it came from in some instances just not recognising what it was, e.g. as they hoovered the corridor, or a door banging, or the sound of the lift.

She had not liked loud noise for most of her life. In fact I remember that frequently her first words as she walked into the house when my brother and I were still at home were "Turn it down!"

I think though from conversations with care staff that in many cases auditory processing is affected by dementia so either you don't recognise what makes the noise (scary!!) or you cannot tune out the background noise as Jan found.

Mameeskye

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
Edna is terrible with noise's she is very jumpy always asking what was that. when we are taking mormally she accuses of wispering about her but if we raise our voices we can't win,
thanks for bringing this up as now I know its part of the illness.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Jan,

I'm late coming into this thread but have to say I too think it's an AD problem.

Eric hates raised voices..but I think he may be interpreting the "tone" of voice..rather than what's actually being said.

But any unexplained loud noise upsets him..like the washing machine starting to spin..sometimes even the ring of the telephone..it takes him that bit longer these days to realise they are the "normal" noises of everyday life...would also like to comment on...
I don`t know if it`s connected, but sometimes I enter the room or speak to him and I make him jump.
Sylvia..Eric does this too..so whether he's in his own world..or didn't hear me come in..I don't know..:confused:

Yet he has the TV on at a noise level I find intrusive!!!!:eek:

Love gigi xx

Carolynlott

Jan 1, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
Dear Jan,

My Dad would always insist on having the TV volume turned right down so that it was barely audible. My Mum is quite deaf so it caused a lot of problems between them - I don't think she heard the TV properly for years.

My Mum is now quite jumpy and afraid of noise. So yes - I think it is a symptom of the disease.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
My mother just like that with noise even thought she OK with the TV on high.

Put my mother is a social gathering & she can’t take it she tell every one to be quite when are you all going home , or she make a noise cough sneezes extra load to bring attention to her , because as it all progressed she was finding it harder , harder to communicate receive information .

As I was writing the above
I remember reading something on it a long while back, so went to look for the link. I think your find it’s very helpful as it’s written by someone who has dementica

http://www.alzheimersforum.org/site/scripts/documents_info.php?categoryID=1&documentID=71

The effect of sudden or excessive noises
October 2007
October 2007

'I don't like going to the market anymore as all the surrounding noise of people shouting out what they have to sell is just too much for my brain to content with.''I avoid crowded places where there are a lot of crossed conversations as it becomes too disorientating for me as people try to talk across each other.'

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamieF7