No trousers!

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
My 86 year old father whom is in the final stages of Alz, took a mini-stroke and was taken to hosptial on Sat. He was sent back to his care home in an ambulance on Sunday night dressed only in a nappy and pj top with a sheet wrapped around him and his legs exposed, no socks or shoes, not even a blanket. He went into hospital wearing a full set of clothes and had 2 pairs of pjs with him (I was with him when they changed him into his nightwear and put him to bed).
The care home rang the hospital ward to give off and were told they were sorry but they were in a rush. How disgusting is that? My father cannot communicate verbally is frail and was at their mercy. I am going to complain to the chief executive. Has anyone else experienced treatment like this of their loved one and what did you do about it? I would like any advice or guidance you could give please. Thank you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I would send a formal complaint to the Hospital Trust, not by email but in a letter.
It is inexcusable.

I did send a formal letter of complaint about the treatment my mother received and the issue was addressed.

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
I agree with Granie G. State it is a formal complaint and when writing make it in the form of questions that you need answers to and number them. I would also send it so they need to sign for it and then you have proof of delivery. CC your local MP into the complaint - the government is bleating on about elderly peoples rights so let them put their money where their mouth is!! ;)

The hospital Complaints Procedure will be on their website and will give timescales for responses

Your fathers treatment is less than third world - disgusting - and the hospital should be ashamed of themselves. Your anger is well placed. :mad:

Please let us know how you get on. Very Best Wishes xx

KatieB

Nov 22, 2010
Glasgow
I had a similar experience with my mother a couple of years ago after a brief hospital stay. She was returned home in her underwear, all her clothing and jewellery missing, including her engagement ring. We didn't get anything back and we didn't even get an apology. We didn't follow it all up. After a couple of calls and a letter of complaint, we gave up. I wish I had been more active in trying to get some sort of explanation though. Dementia got in the way.:(

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I would put a formal letter of complaint, that is no way to send anyone home let alone a person who is frail and cannot communicate.... did you get the items of clothing back that your father was wearing and the pj's, if not ask for them, if they do not have them send in a bill for the cost of replacing the items, i did that when mums old respite place lost a pair of her trousers....
Digressing slightly, my mum has labels in every single piece of her clothing, and when she goes to hospital/ respite a list of what is in her bag goes with her, why is it that she comes back with other peoples clothing (she came back with a man's shirt once!)or some of hers missing?

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
And don't forget to mention this complaint isn't just about possessions. It is about human dignity, how frail, inarticulate, vulnerable people are being bundled about like a sack of potatoes.

I would be furious. Put your anger into penning a fine, reasoned letter, giving them a specific deadline by when you require a response.

Best of luck, BE

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Photo Copy All Letters You send !

Hello & am sorry to read the shameful treatment your Father was given ...... am :mad: & disgusted :( on your Father 's behalf ( & yours also ) ...... Agree with all the posts on here but can I just add please , please Photo Copy every thing before you send your letter ? ...... That way you have PROOF of what you said etc , etc ....... Read this bit of good advice in a Magazine once ( think it was how to complain about shoddy :( goods or firms ) It was written by a legal person & in my view its a good idea even tho it might take your time up etc !

Best Wishes & Good Luck ....... hope you have a good outcome & not just fobbed off etc ( Oh & while 'st you doing 1 letter how abount a 2nd one to your M P ? might help you especially after the Staff Hospital :eek::( Scandal Report came out !

Hope this helps

Love Grove x x

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
No advice or experience, just wanted to wish you good luck, this was absolutely disgraceful, your poor father. There is absolutely no excuse for this treatment.

Best wishes.

tp18

Oct 8, 2012
That kind of treatment is absolutely disgraceful, and has made me both angry and upset that the hospital could possibly think that kind of treatment of anyone is even remotely acceptable.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I am really saddened by this, ,where is the dignity and respect, I bet they wouldn't like there father to be treated in this way, time or no time is not a excuse, common sense should have been used, they should be ashamed of themselves ,

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Thank You!

Thank you to everyone who has given me advice, thank you also for your anger and disgust on behalf of dad. I will take on board all you have advised including sending a copy to my MP which is an excellent idea. Dad is exhausted but stable enough, he's back at the care home now. The staff were horrified at how he was sent back and complained to the ward themselves, the member of staff from the home whom I spoke to was boardering on tears having to tell me what happened as they are all very fond of dad. He is no trouble and gives everyone a beautiful smile, even the hospital staff commented on his lovely nature, no-one, especially the vulnerable should be treated like this. I'll keep you informed, and thank you all again for your help, it's much appreciated.