No sleep!

Catherine.

Mar 26, 2015
Dad is now 6 weeks following his operation to fix his broken hip, and although his leg is healed his brain is not. Night times are particularly difficult, he is awake virtually hourly either wanting to use the toilet, wondering where his clothes are or worrying about something entirely out of context. Mum and I share the load, and try and keep him amused/awake during the day, but that is difficult when we are all so tired. He is having all the medication he can and we are sourcing all the help we can, but it is SO difficult. Just wanted to share ......

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I hoped someone would have an idea for you but since they havent then I would be back at the GP and the Memory clinic psychiatrist. You cannot go without sleep or you will be ill. Sleeping tablets can make a difference and I would be requesting that he is tried on something like that.

He needs his medication assessed again and prioritised or full time care will be needed.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Dad is now 6 weeks following his operation to fix his broken hip, and although his leg is healed his brain is not. Night times are particularly difficult, he is awake virtually hourly either wanting to use the toilet, wondering where his clothes are or worrying about something entirely out of context. Mum and I share the load, and try and keep him amused/awake during the day, but that is difficult when we are all so tired. He is having all the medication he can and we are sourcing all the help we can, but it is SO difficult. Just wanted to share ......

When I took over my mum's care 24/7, I naively thought how hard can it be, sure my days would change dramatically, but I never thought it would go into the nights. My mum can tire herself out during the day with her wandering and chatter, plus her kind of domestic chores, she does not sit down for more than 5 minutes and I so look forward to her bedtime, but there is no guarantee that she will stay in bed. And then there is my confusion with the days when she is not that busy, does not wander as much and I think, oh god she will be up half the night, no, to my surprise she sleeps through! Keep going, chin up.

Catherine.

Mar 26, 2015
I hoped someone would have an idea for you but since they havent then I would be back at the GP and the Memory clinic psychiatrist. You cannot go without sleep or you will be ill. Sleeping tablets can make a difference and I would be requesting that he is tried on something like that.

He needs his medication assessed again and prioritised or full time care will be needed.

Thanks for this....we have spoken to both of these experts who both agree a sleeping tablet is not a good idea!?!? We are waiting for 2 things.. The recently started donepezal type drug patch to work and his brain to settle down after the shock of the fracture and subsequent operation ..apparently that can take up to 3 months! Or I suppose a third thing...mum and I to self destruct

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Thanks for this....we have spoken to both of these experts who both agree a sleeping tablet is not a good idea!?!? We are waiting for 2 things.. The recently started donepezal type drug patch to work and his brain to settle down after the shock of the fracture and subsequent operation ..apparently that can take up to 3 months! Or I suppose a third thing...mum and I to self destruct

I think you must tell them that you MUST have something for him or you will absolutely not be able to go on.
Someone else on here, when desperate for help, told whoever it was that if she did not get help she would take her relative to A and E and leave him there. And lo, help was forthcoming. It is terrible that anyone should have to go to such lengths but if those who are supposed to help won't listen...

Catherine.

Mar 26, 2015
I think you must tell them that you MUST have something for him or you will absolutely not be able to go on.
Someone else on here, when desperate for help, told whoever it was that if she did not get help she would take her relative to A and E and leave him there. And lo, help was forthcoming. It is terrible that anyone should have to go to such lengths but if those who are supposed to help won't listen...

Amazingly , last night wasn't too bad, only waking 3 times and went back to sleep.... I don't want to tempt fate, but fingers crossed maybe we have turned the corner? We actually have managed to book a night sitter for tonight as part of his care package, so whatever happens , mum and I will both get a good night tonight. Keep you posted