No sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAL

Aug 10, 2012
My mum is in late stage of dementia (diagnosed 2005).I moved in to care of her 2 years ago. For the last 2 weeks mum just has not slept, waking every hour during the night, she is tired during the day but does not catch up on sleep (consequently nor do I). I have tried giving her a relaxing bath before bed, warm drink, talking to her about going to sleep, making sure she goes to the toilet before bed, nothing is working. Her G.P didn't think any medication would help. I am worried how long she can cope without sleep and what going to happen next. Has anyone got any tips or know off any medication etc that can help.

Pigeon11

Jul 19, 2012
Hello Jal

Sorry to hear of your mum's problems sleeping - you must be worn out.

I must say I'm very surprised that the GP has said medication won't help. I'm no expert on these things but my father was prescribed sleeping tablets at his NH when he was having problems like this (not as bad). It seemed to help. I don't know what they were called as he's not on them now as he does nothing but sleep - his illness is so advanced.

Perhaps you should ask again? Do you have any support from anyone else? Your health is important too. You shouldn't have to tolerate a situation where you are coping alone and it sounds like your GP isn't all that sympathetic. Perhaps there's someone else in the practice you could speak to.

I'm sorry if this isn't much help but sure there will be someone on here who's experienced something similar. Good luck with it all.

xx

Wildflower

Apr 6, 2013
Brighton
I can't understand why your mum's GP has said medication wouldn't help. My dad's GP prescribes him Zopiclone and dad sleeps through the night. Before he was taking them it was dreadful, he was awake on and off all night, every night. I know how you must be feeling, and I would be inclined to change GPs if this one continues to be unhelpful.

Hengell

Jun 2, 2013
My mum is also on zopleclone the gp was a bit reluctant with me to continue her on sleeping tabs due to addiction, but I perceivered and got her on the above previously it was tamazepan, think some tablets can make their memories worse apparently, but I was insistant and said either she had tablets or the whole family would have to have them lol as sne is such a busy bee day and night.

Varandas

Sep 2, 2013
Hampshire England
I am sorry you are having a difficult time and no sleep. As it was said before - your health is very important too.
Maybe the GP was reluctant in offering any sleeping pills as it can affect people in different ways and maybe affecting your Mom's mobility and balance during the day, therefore increasing the risks of a fall during the day or night.
A mild sleeping pill or drops could help for a period of four/six hours.
I have used Sinalepsin and it worked wonders for me.
I hope you'll soon sort it out and get a good night's sleep. You need it.
All the best

gadfly

Apr 26, 2011
London
I am sorry you are having a difficult time and no sleep. As it was said before - your health is very important too.
Maybe the GP was reluctant in offering any sleeping pills as it can affect people in different ways and maybe affecting your Mom's mobility and balance during the day, therefore increasing the risks of a fall during the day or night.
A mild sleeping pill or drops could help for a period of four/six hours.
I have used Sinalepsin and it worked wonders for me.
I hope you'll soon sort it out and get a good night's sleep. You need it.
All the best

gadfly

Apr 26, 2011
London
I know it's exhausting. It's worth trying Melatonin 1-2mgs they do work sometimes but generally only for first couple of nights then a break of 1 or 2 nights. Sometimes I give my husband Phenergan/Promethazine, half a tablet has worked for him but recently didn't work so well so might try whole tab next time. He was diagnosed 2011. Trouble is 3 -4 wet pads & bed wake him. Trying thicker pads tonight with extra insert but unsure if he will tolerate the bulk! 2 mg Melatonin might help. Otherwise ship in a night carer whenever you can afford it ! Good luck - I was really looking for advice too.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
@gadfly - just letting you know that this is a thread from 2013 and the original poster hasn’t visited the forum since then.

The thread has now been closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.