No sensation in feet

oneloopylady

Oct 16, 2011
My dad was diagnosed 5 weeks ago with vascular dementia, following a few small strokes. His deterioration has been rapid and frightening - delirium, not knowing people, talking nonsense, complete immobility and incontinence. All incredibly sad. He has been a type 2 diabetic (diet controlled/very mild) for a few years but today went to see the podiatrist and he did not feel any of the pin pricks to either foot. His feet are always cold, no matter how many socks we put on. The podiatrist seemed to think that the lack of sensation was more to do with his other condition/s than diabetes. Is lack of sensation normal in dementia sufferers? I wondered if it was the lack of sensation in his feet that was preventing him from walking/standing or whether it is all to do with the brain not sending the right message? I am completely confused!! Has anyone else had similar things happen? Thanks. Trisha.

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I would get him to a doctor as soon as you can. This lack of sensation is not something I have seen reported as a symptom of vascular dementia. It might be, but it's not at all common. I would think it's more likely to be down to the diabetes but whatever is causing it, it's not something you should delay about. Lack of sensation is a very serious symptom and should be reported to the GP ASAP. In fact, if the extremities are discolored or cold, I'd seriously be thinking about a visit to the emergency room.

oneloopylady

Oct 16, 2011
Hi Jennifer, thanks for replying, and thanks for agreeing with me that it doesn't seem 'normal'.

However, I should have added that my dad is actually IN hospital now! He has been in hospital for 5 weeks and just the day before yesterday moved from the surgical hospital where he was diagnosed and had gall stone removal to the 'community hospital' because he was deemed to be OK medically and is now more or less in rehab.....

I told the nurse on the ward what the podiatrist said and asked her to pass it on to his doctor, but goodness knows when they will do that.... nothing appears to be 'urgent'..

he is dehydrated and she asked me to try to 'encourage him' to drink - I said I spend my entire afternoon every day trying to get him to eat and drink and it results, after a few days of not eating and drinking, of him having to go on intravenous feed, so she is aware that he has some pretty serious issues, poor man.

I will phone in the morning, but if she hasn't reported it to the doctor, I guess I have to send yet another letter to the consultant to get some answers!

The OT's have been trying to get him mobilised and haven't been able to get anywhere with that, so maybe this lack of sensation is the reason for that too? If he can't feel his feet, then he isnt going to want to stand on them presumably.

Thanks for the support!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Does the hospital have a PALS department? I always found them the most effective part of the hospital infrastructure (and I used them a lot as for most of Mummy's hospitalizations I was out of the country). I would go to them and say "excuse me, I have a serious concern here with a person who has diabetes and no feeling in his extremities and I'm concerned about gangrene and no one will get back to me." Sometimes, you have to be extremely pushy in a hospital environment: whatever you have an issue with it's always someone else's responsibility and that makes it difficult to get any action.

odyssey

Apr 25, 2012
Wales
Peripheral neuropathy

You will be well aware that peripheral neuropathy is common in diabetes. I have not heard of it being reported in vascular dementia.

It may however be a direct result of the stroke which can affect both motor and sensory function. Even statins can affect sensation.

Whole bag of variables - but essential you get a medical exam and dopler studies to exclude / confirm vascular exclusion.

Do not take "no" for an answer. Insist on actually speaking with a Registrar.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My husband who has sufferered from Diabetes for over 35 years has Neuropathy. It is casued by PAD -Peripheral Artery Disease, sometimes referred to as PVD, the V being vascular. My husband has had this for nearly 30 years too. His is caused by the Diabetes as is the Vascular Dementia, according to the Consultant Psychatrist who diagnosed my husband with VD and said that a scan was unnecessary as VD was common amongst long term diabetics. My father has been insulin-dependant for many years though whereas your father doesn't sound so severe. However, the stroke will have involved the flow of blood too, so that is probabaly connected too. Incidentally, although in Neuropathy, the prick of a needle is not felt, there can be considerable pain felt within the feet. I hope you get this sorted out. good luck. X

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Hi my mum suffers from vascular dementia and suffers with cold hands and feet and she isn't diabetic
Athough diabetics are prone to PAD and neuropathy, there are a number of other causes, smoking being one such case.

oneloopylady

Oct 16, 2011
developments..not good.

Thank you all for the support. Well, he was in the community hospital for 3 days, after 5 weeks on elderly care/medical ward in the general hospital, and today he was taken back to the general hospital, via A&E because the community hospital were worried that he was dehydrated again, unresponsive and shaking uncontrollably. I followed the ambulance to the hospital and when he got there, blood pressure was high and he was crying out in pain but couldn't talk so it took a long time to find out that the pain was burning on passing urine, and the urine was bright orange. I told the A&E doc about his feet and he said it sounds like neuropathy and they need to keep an eye on his blood sugars etc because the urine infections and dehydration can affect that badly. (he has had 3 urine infections in 5 weeks and has been on saline drips 3 times too for dehydration).

He also had a rapid heartbeat so they gave him some meds for that and started him on antibiotics for the infection. In the meantime he then went into diarrhea so was put into a single room, where he started shouting and crying because he said the nurses were american military people disguised and were experimenting on his penis by tying the end of it - I presume he means the sensation of the catheter.

Simply tragic, and distressing. We managed to calm him, though it took a couple of hours, and he was given morphine which seemed to help.

These hallucinations are terrifying and he seems to get them more when he has an infection.....

But at least he is in hospital now so I will keep pushing them about the feet whilst he is in there.

Thank you everyone. Trisha. xxx