No proper funeral

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Very upset that my husband who passed away on 3rd March can't have his funeral service in church now. I was told yesterday that the vicar will still take the service, but it has to be at the graveside with just 4-5 mourners. Arranging the funeral was the last thing I had to do for my husband and I am so sad I can't give him a proper funeral. It is not fair that he had Vascular Dementia and now this. The family are hoping to have a memorial service when it is possible. I know a lot of people are a lot worse off than me and I shouldn't moan, but this is horrible.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
All you can do is bury him with dignity and pride.
When this is all over a memorial service sounds lovely.
I am so sorry but I am sure that he would understand and would not wish anyone to risk their lives by attending a full service.
Please look after yourself now, it is so odd when you are left alone but please find the strength to carry on.
I speak from experience, rest and regain strength and look after yourself.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Very upset that my husband who passed away on 3rd March can't have his funeral service in church now. I was told yesterday that the vicar will still take the service, but it has to be at the graveside with just 4-5 mourners. Arranging the funeral was the last thing I had to do for my husband and I am so sad I can't give him a proper funeral. It is not fair that he had Vascular Dementia and now this. The family are hoping to have a memorial service when it is possible. I know a lot of people are a lot worse off than me and I shouldn't moan, but this is horrible.
I feel for you in this horrible situation and it has nothing to do with how others are doing but your own husband. I particularly understand your feelings because my husband’s funeral was on the 2nd March and it was probably the last week of being able to hold one. It seems a lifetime ago and it’s only 2 and a half weeks. Grief carries on even in these viral circumstances and I send you my sympathy.

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Thank you all for your lovely replies. My husband really would have understood, he was a very pragmatic man and just got on with whatever life dealt him. The vicar is a lovely lady and I am sure she will do her best. It is sensible really, my husband was 86 and his brothers and cousins are all elderly so my husband would not have wanted anyone to be at risk by attending. Thank you all for understanding xx

SewHappy

Feb 3, 2019
We had a memorial service for my dad some months after his death as, due to a recent move, there were issues for friends and family getting to the funeral. Dad didn't have dementia and his death was sudden although he had been in poor health for most of his life. The funeral was small.

We had a memorial service and gathering back in his home town. We were able to plan and really think about what we wanted and although we were still mourning it felt that we had the time to make the right decisions. The service went really well, was well attended and it felt like we had said a proper farewell to dad with a mixture of laughter and tears. The service did feel more like the celebration of his life that some people try to achieve at funerals but not always with success as the grief is still too raw for some people to manage this.

I know, due to current circumstances, you cannot even set a date for the memorial service but hope you and your family will find a way to say a quiet farewell at the funeral knowing that something much more to you wishes can be planned and carried out in the future.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
This must be so upsetting for you and your family @chippiebites - I know that when my husband died I was helped greatly by being able to arrange a funeral service and wake with friends and family present.

I hope that a lovely memorial service will help when the time is right - but I know that keeping everything 'on hold' is not ideal, especially when you need that support and a way to pay full tribute to your husband right now.

Thinking of you and hoping for the best of outcomes to such a miserable situation.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
I have no words for you @chippiebites - but just send much love. Your husband would understand totally. You will be there for him, and you are the most important person saying goodbye.
Mum's funeral was at the end of February and I am grateful that it was held before all these rulings came into place. I am due to attend a cremation next week - again, it is just that and nothing more. My heart goes out to you all.
X

CWR

Mar 17, 2019
I had decided in advance that I was going to have a cremation without ceremony for my mum, and since she was a devoted member of her church, I had a memorial service over a month later, with a lovely photo of her on the communion table. We played some of the music that mum loved, and everyone said what a lovely service it had been. It must be terrible not being able to have a proper funeral if thats what you had planned, but , rest assured, the memorial service will be all the better whenever it is held. I never thought I would say this, but I am glad mum passed away before this horrible virus came along. My heart goes out to everyone affected by it, including those who are unable to be at their loved one's deathbed or to hold a funeral.

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
I have to say @CWR I am glad that my husband isn't here now because I would be so worried about him during this virus outbreak. He died at home and I was fortunate to be with him, so it could have been a lot worse. I can't imagine how it would feel not to be able to see you loved one before they passed. Once again many thanks for your kind posts.

BSN

Oct 1, 2017
I am so, so sorry to hear this - my heart goes out to you and you are so right, it is utterly dreadful.
I am also in a similar situation. My partner died on 7 March, after 8 years with FTD.
Her funeral is planned for 3 April and it seems that everyday her funeral is getting parred back, no wake afterwards, we as a family can’t carry her coffin, we have been asked to keep mourners to a minimum and after the service we must have the curtains close to prevent anyone from touching her coffin.
I have been told to expect worse case scenario of having to delay, (to when!!!) or watch the service through a webcam. Thankfully we are not there yet but the pace of change is such that I am fearful we may get to this stage.
We will hold a memorial at a later stage, like you.
I am grateful though that she died before her Care Home was closed to visitors and she will never have to worry about COVID - 19 and the devastation it is causing.

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Hi @BSN My thoughts are with you and I hope you have the best funeral you can for your partner. I do hope you don't have to delay, as you say to when? As you I am grateful my husband passed before Covid 19 came into the equation.
Best wishes

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
I have been told to expect worse case scenario of having to delay, (to when!!!) or watch the service through a webcam
My condolences for the recent loss of your loved one.

This sounds really bad, I am assuming you are in the UK, surely the number of deaths hasn't increased to such a high level that it is affecting the timing of funerals. As for a webcam idea that is completely out of order.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I'm so sorry at @chippiebites. I can't imagine how your feeling but you must remind yourself that this won't be forever and that you will be able to a memorial service when this is over.

MaNaAk

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Thank you @MaNaAk . Just have to accept the situation like everyone else. The family will have a memorial service hopefully this year on my husband's birthday. Then we can all go out for lunch and celebrate his life.