No-One Will Sign My COP3 Form

MikeValentine

Sep 14, 2020
Hi
New here.
My father in-law has been in hospital for 16 weeks.
Hospital are unable to send him home as he has lost capacity.
He has just been assessed for CHC.
He has given no Power of Attorney, doesn't want anyone to handle his affairs.
We now need to pay his bills, etc.
Trying to apply for Deputyship, have all the forms but no-one is willing to take responsibility and fill in the COP3, no-one, doctors, nurses, Social Worker, DoLS rep. Nothing at all.
What do we do now?
Does COP24 cover this eventuality?

Any hep or advice will be gratefully recieved!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello and welcome to the forum @MikeValentine.

I’m sorry I have no experience to offer but wondered if it would be useful for you to contact the Dementia Connect Support Line tomorrow. An adviser there might be able to help you -

I’m glad you found the forum. You will find lots of help and support here.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Do we presume if he is medically fit he has been transferred to rehab?
Has anyone advised you of how long deputyship is taking at the moment?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
This seems to be an increasingly difficult problem.
You could try finding an independent Social Worker.
You would have to pay for their time, but you usually have to pay for the COP3 anyway.

MikeValentine

Sep 14, 2020
Do we presume if he is medically fit he has been transferred to rehab?
Has anyone advised you of how long deputyship is taking at the moment?
Hi
Yes he's medically fit, went into hospital after a fall and has never come back out.
They discovered he lacks capacity.
We were battling to get them to give him his CHC assessment, they were doing their damndest to say he wasn't entitled, we finally cracked that one after seemingly fighting with everyone. Still no decision but at lest they've given him the assessment.
Way back at the beginning we asked everyone involved if they would sign the COP3 but everyone said they couldn't or when it was pointed out to them that they could, then said they wouldn't.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Hi
Yes he's medically fit, went into hospital after a fall and has never come back out.
They discovered he lacks capacity.
We were battling to get them to give him his CHC assessment, they were doing their damndest to say he wasn't entitled, we finally cracked that one after seemingly fighting with everyone. Still no decision but at lest they've given him the assessment.
Way back at the beginning we asked everyone involved if they would sign the COP3 but everyone said they couldn't or when it was pointed out to them that they could, then said they wouldn't.
I vote with @canary !
Others have had success with independent social workers!
Never read a post when someone has regretted using their services.
Do you realise you are looking at months not weeks? ( Unless someone can update with some good news on this?)

Maeny

Feb 28, 2020
Contact his GP. Mine charged £65 for home visit and capacity assessment, you could also pay there time and travel to the hospital, or they may be willing to speak with the hospital staff. I imagine they are reluctant as they are involved in an acute episode of his care, they will be seeking a safe discharge without considering long term finance etc in detail. Most hospital staff will also not be familiar with deputyship paperwork.

ALS carer

Jun 26, 2019
We are in a very similar situation, Mum was in hospital for 7 weeks and now in advanced stages of dementia (doubly incontinent, pureed foods, bed bound). Social worker not willing, hospital dr would have but she was discharged that day and I filled in the witness statement with copies of all the hospital documents that said that Mum did not have capacity.

bikeman

Apr 4, 2012
I have been advised by one of the COP panel deputies that it is not unusual for NHS/Social Services to pronounce that someone has lost capacity but then refuse to get involved with the COP3. Their suggestion is to employ the services of an 'independent capacity assessor'. It's an additional expense but gets the job done.