No one left to talk to

queenquackers

Oct 2, 2013
Been a while since I last posted on here, so a quick update first.
Mum moved in to a care home over Easter this year, only a couple of weeks after her 54th birthday. While my dad had done a sterling job of looking after her at home, she was no longer capable of going up or down stairs by herself (and even with assistance, could take a very long time as she was terrified of falling). Shortly after the move, she lost the ability to walk or even stand up, so is now in a wheelchair (awaiting funding for a specially adapted one to stop her from sliding forward and out of the chair altogether). She is also now on a liquid diet, as chewing and swallowing has become an issue, and combined with the fact that she is no longer walking, this means she looks skeletal. While she can sometimes respond appropriately to other people's comments (laughing at a joke or pulling a face at something she doesn't approve of for example) and sometimes comes out with the odd word or two, I haven't heard her say anything that makes sense in context for many months now, and I don't think she's known who I am for at least a year. I'd get a blank look a year ago, clung to as if I were her mother (who, by the way, is still alive and reasonably well for 77yrs old!) earlier this year, and now unrecognized again (though she is now a lot happier to interact with me in some way - maybe because she doesn't feel the pressure of 'hostess mode' anymore. Her GP says that bearing in mind the rate of her decline so far, he would be surprised if she survived another year (though as we all know, symptoms can 'plateau' for years)
I've visited Mum at her care home a few times now, but the first time I went there, my husband came along too, and ended up having a panic attack because he didn't recognize her at first (This was around May, after Mum had had a few weeks to settle in, but OH hadn't seen her since Christmas, and she had gone downhill quite drastically since then). I ended up spending more time trying to calm him down so we could make the train journey home than I did with Mum that visit, and I haven't dared bring my husband back there, or properly speak with him about Mum since, as I know it upsets him and I really need him to be strong for me as we have other things (such as an upcoming house move) to worry about too.
The thing is, it feels like this is the only place I can talk about how sad all this makes me. I can't talk to the rest of my family, as of course they're suffering too, and I don't have any close friends living nearby (funnily enough, the closest 'friend' I had around here quickly distanced herself from me when she heard about Mum). I don't dare tell anyone at work, as my brother tried that and has since had a long list of 'issues' involving his manager (including having his pay docked for something that clearly was not his fault, and having holiday requests only granted at very short notice). I had similar problems with my last job (which resulted in my effectively being hounded out of the company about 2 years ago) and I really want to keep this one!
So, another long ramble. Must try to keep posting now, as I really don't know what's worse - the thought of Mum dying, or the realization that the longer she lives like this, the less I remember of her as she was when she was well. Sounds selfish put like that, but I hope someone understands.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi queenquackers
sorry to read of your mum's deterioration
but I am glad that you thought to come along to TP to get this all off your chest
I guess a good many here understand what you're saying
so sending you much sympathy
and ramble away .... :)

Patricia Alice

Mar 2, 2015
Hi Queenquackers and welcome.

We are here for you any time, whether to rant, share or just simply want a hug.

xxx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Life is... Aaah.....

sh-1-t for you isn't it

So sad that feeling... to feel you are not known..... Mum hasn't known who I am for... Ummmm..... probably 2 years now.....

What Is very obvious to me.... she knows I'm someone "special" therefore no hostess mode needed.... she can be herself, the herself she is now....

Doesn't make it any easier for me at the time of visiting knowing/understanding this....

It's just....

So painful isn't it

xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I hope someone understands.

I do, my wife was sectioned in January and went into an EMI home in June, since then she's gone downhill a lot. She's only 63 but you wouldn't think that to look at her.
Work knew the situation and I was made redundant although it would be difficult to prove the connection as others were too at the same time.
These days apart from the visits to my wife I rarely talk to anyone, the kids have visited a couple of times in the last 8 months but other than that I hardly speak to anyone, AZ lost us friends and our social network and that's why now she's no longer with me I'm reluctant to pick it back up again.
We all need someone to talk to so come back on here at least you'll be talking to people who truly understand what you're going through.
K

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
...... I do think that Alzheimers is a big wake up call to us all on here, one hell of a learning curve and one that without a doubt has a big impact on who we feel we can trust or even like or see as 'decent and kind human beings' anymore.

Yes, a thousand times, yes.