No official diagnosis

Kniveandfork

Aug 2, 2022
Hi everybody my name is Steve and for the last 3 years I have had memory problems. In November 2020 my neurologist referred me to a nueropsychology due to my cognitive decline in May 2021 i underwent a cognitive assessment and the results showed a significant impaired memory and was well down on all the other tests for someone of my age. Then in June 2022 i was tested again and the tests revealed more deterioration of my visual and working memory plus language. I then had a phone consultation with the nueropsychology who said to my wife it is early onset dementia but when I got the letter from them it does not mention this so I don't know what i have officially

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Kniveandfork and a warm welcome to Dementia Talking Point. You'll find this a very friendly and supportive place.

It would probably be a good idea to contact the neuropsychologist and ask him or her to explain the diagnosis. Did the letter mention a specific disease, as there are various sorts of dementia, not all of which have dementia as part of the name. I don't know if this fact sheet would be useful
and this one

What is most important is getting things in place to support you and your wife going forward. So if you haven't already done so sort out things such as Lasting Power of Attorney and Personal Independence Payment.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think that officially the neuropsychologist cant give a diagnosis of dementia, although he may have said that this is what it looks like.

Have you had scans done? There needs to be evidence shown on scans as well as cognitive problems to get a diagnosis of dementia

Can you get back to the neurologist you first saw?