No more trips to A&E

Cookie123

Dec 6, 2019
My 89 yo husband continues to fall after his care home admission from hospital 3 weeks ago. Unhurt until today. He’s bumped his head and I’ve previously discussed plans w our gp and care staff. No more hospitals. The paramedics were called but haven’t attended yet. I’m going to insist he stay in the home but now I feel overwhelmed and sick. He isn’t distressed or in pain. The hospital is not a safe or good place for him. This is so hard. I love him.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Cookie123 , I think unless your husband has done something that means he'd be in pain unless he went to hospital (broken his hip for instance) staying in the home is the best option. I spent a few hours with my mum in A&E on Tuesday after a fall. The staff were lovely, but mum found the whole thing bewildering and it seemed fairly obvious that she hadn't actually broken her hip. She had another fall yesterday and I said to the home that I didn't think going to hospital would be a good idea as she seemed fine if a bit battered.

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
Hi Cookie, a week ago we were in this position with my 87 yr old mum. She lives in a nursing home after suffering a stroke in April. She has advanced mixed dementia and complex diabetes. We had a similar conversation with staff about keeping her at the nursing home as she doesn’t cope well at the hospital. Unfortunately because she hit her head and it was bleeding with big bump, the paramedic said she had to go to A&E. I felt our decision was over ruled even with POA! My sister and I went to the hospital &stayed with her throughout, returning her to the home around midnight. I agree with you, there is little to be gained going to the hospital as they didn’t even scan my mum! Might have something to do with a full waiting room and 12 ambulances backed up with patients inside.

We all try and make the best decisions for our loved ones and if your husband can stay at the home I would certainly think that is better for him than a trip to A & E. Take care.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry your husband has had so many falls @Cookie123. After my partner's recent experience I would be reluctant to see her in hospital again unless she really needs to.
Be guided by the ambulance crew, they are always thorough and will be good judges of the best way forward. I hope your husband will be ok and treated soon.

Cookie123

Dec 6, 2019
Thanks for the replies. I also think with covid numbers rising I don’t want him leaving the safety of the home. Fingers crossed.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Why call an ambulance if you are not going to let them follow through?

What happens if he perhaps breaks his hip? what then?

Are the carers happy to keep him- it could be a huge resonsibility!

Cookie123

Dec 6, 2019
Hi They call if there is a potential head injury. They have written instructions that he doesn't go unless he's in pain, needs sutures or there is a fracture. The home is happy and can do full palliative care. Hopefully he never needs to move again.

Feeling unsupported

Jul 9, 2021
I absolutely agree, my mum was taken to A&E recently following a fall. 24 hours on a trolley and I'm not aware that they did anything more than the observations originally conducted in the ambulance. As has been said, this was extremely distressing for both mum and I, as I tried to keep her on the trolley, she was uncomfortable and very restless. Actually, what she needed was a good night's sleep. I would not want her to be going to hospital again, unless there is compelling evidence that she needs some form of treatment that is in her best interests and can only be offered by the hospital.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
This is a very interesting discussion and it brings back memories of my mother's many falls in her care home. She was actually only taken to hospital a few times. Homes without medical staff are, naturally, worried about being criticised and so they will invariably call the paramedics to check the person over. It's my feeling that paramedics have become more risk averse and tend to take frail elderly people to hospital more than they used to. I don't know to what extent you can say that you don't want the PWD taken to hospital. Does it depend on whether you have a POA for health and welfare? Personally, I feel that, in the absence of an actual or suspected injury, the PWD should not go to hospital as a precaution. I feel that infections should be treated in the care home by Hospital@Home if iv antibiotics are needed and there are no staff at the home able to administer them. This leads on to another, more contentious, point about how aggressively infections in people with advanced dementia should be treated but I won't say any more about that.....

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Cookie123 I had this discussion with dads GP after dad and I had a really awful experience of a three week stay in hospital. We both agreed that any hospital stay or even visit would be harmful to dad and should be avoided at all costs from then on. Dad remained at home then until he died.

I expect that if he had fallen and broken something then he would have had to gone but luckily he didn't. I hope that your husband is able to stay in the home.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
its true that care homes dont always have trained medical staff but i think if a person can be treated by district nurse, gp, paramedics, or walk in centres then there is no need for hospital. even little bumps can be monitored by staff as if they are sick, confused, cant wake them up like you would you would observe a child then. when its more complicated such as taking warfarin, anti- clotting meds as well if their pain is not controlled with injury, thats the time the pwd needs a hospital. the paramedics have come to my husband and after doing all the checks have decided he doesnt need hospital. the risks outweighed the benefits.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Dad is at home. But it is written in his DNR not to be taken to hospital unless it absolutely necessary. Last time the paramedics got me to sign a waiver as dad refused to go. Unless dad needed oxygen or something very similar he will remain at home.. Even if he is in bed..

Sandy47

Aug 14, 2019
MH has been in hospital for 4 weeks initially with a UTI and constipation which caused delirium. The admission would not have happened if he had had access to a GP who, having never met him, prescribed tablets for prostate problems. If he had been physically examined his bowel problem would have been found.
While in hospital he refused to eat and drink unless I gave it to him and they would only let me see him one hour every day.
In 4 weeks, he has gone from a physically strong, fairly independent man to someone who is weak and helpless. The hospital are preparing to send him home where he will now need 24 hr. care.
When he comes home, I will challenge anyone who suggests he needs hospital treatment again. The NHS has hastened his dementia by years and hospitals, even after all the publicity about dementia, still have no idea how to treat people with the disease.

Sorry about the rant but I feel for you and others in your position. We know what it's like to want the best for our loved ones and are the only ones who know what that is. You are right to try to keep him out of hospital. I hope you can find some peace of mind too. It's agony having to make decisions on someone else's behalf and as carers we always feel we didn't do enough or should have done something differently. You are doing everything you can to keep him safe, as I hope I will when my husband comes home.