1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

No more on Chick's thread, time to start my own

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Chuggalug, May 3, 2015.

1. Chuggalug

Chuggalug Registered User

Mar 24, 2014
    Norfolk
    Hiya everyone.

For those of you following the news, I've just spoken to the hospital again just now. No operation today. He has eaten a salad. I'll hopefully go and visit tomorrow. Wanna go today but have to watch funds. What else is new ;)

Seems as if they are noticing his confusion, now. Dunno whether that's good or bad! No more news. I'll just put it out as I get it. Thanks so much for everyone's support through this. I cannot do the DNR thing as I've already said elsewhere. That's not my call.

Just remember this: we might be down right now, but we ain't out, xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    I have no idea what DNR means but you take care I may not know a lot but I can support.

3. Grey Lad

Grey Lad Registered User

Sep 12, 2014
    North East Lincs
    Good woman. As I said before DLTBGYD: sing along now 'We shall overcome ..... It's great that you have started your own Thread we need a direct line to you at this time..

4. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Thinking of you both Chuggs.

I was asked about the DNR thing when Bill was in hospital last week. It's hard. They called it advanced care plan but it was the same thing. (Patsy - DNR is do not resuscitate.)

I'm glad you've started your own thread.

5. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    Wishing you good vibes and wishes chugs....keep on chugging along , we are here alongside.:)

6. Maggie42

Maggie42 Registered User

Mar 7, 2011
    East Midlands
    Best wishes , thinking of you both.
    Take care.
    Mags

7. chick1962

chick1962 Registered User

Apr 3, 2014
    Female
    near Folkestone
    Xxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

8. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    I've been singing que sera sera recently Chuggs

9. Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
    Norfolk
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha! Do you know what? I had to look that up! Bit late mate, they did that many years ago. But hey, I'm still here to talk about it, xxxxxxxxx

Never look too far into the future is my motto at the moment. Does that mean I shouldn't tell you we might all be in for some rough weather today? Anyone fancy a light show? Go outside and look up, then, and take a camera with you ;) Could be some good lightning around from about now, onwards :D

10. Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
    Norfolk
    It's more than hard, Izzy, it's impossible. My name is not God Almighty. Only He can give or take life. Not me!

Love to you, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

11. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    been chucking it down here today was hoping to garden maybe should think of Festivals gone by and have a mud bath :)

12. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    I look on a DNR the other way. If there is a DNR then the person dies when they are supposed to die not when the Dr says.

13. Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
    Norfolk
    Maggie; good to see you here!

Heike, backatcha, xxxxxxxxxx

Cat, almost know the feeling and I believe those words.

Kjn; thank you so much :)

14. Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
    Norfolk
    Positives, round two! That's a good'un, Patsy :D

15. Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
    Norfolk
    Trouble is, Cat, they were talking about putting him on some machine if anything happened during the operation. How am I supposed to know? I don't. I just dont...I'm not even a doctor. If doctors still go by the Hippocratic Oath, that should tell them what they need to know, shouldn't it?

16. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Do you know what he would have wanted for himself?

17. Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
    Norfolk
    He never attempted to tell me. But hewas always very secretive, Cat. He once "assured/informed" me that he had donated his body to science. I asked him for the proof and he couldn't produce it.

He doesn't even believe in paying for a funeral. He'd rather bury me, or be buried in our back garden. That just cannot happen, and he could never be reasoned with, even before the dementia.

18. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Oh dear :(

19. Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
    Norfolk
    Tell me about it! the word minefield comes to mind. Are we allowed to say that on 'ere?

20. reedysue

reedysue Registered User

Nov 4, 2014
    Scotland
    Sending my best wishes to you both.