no more intervention

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
win has now recovered from the chest infection and is now rehydrated from the intravenous drip.

The doctors have decided not to use the drip again but to give her what food she can swallow, as her quality of life has deteriorated rapidly. The home will asses her on Monday so hope she can return there as it is much better place that the hospital to face your demise.

Wil post tonight after visiting.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Pammy, you and Win are in my thoughts and prayers. One day at a time.
Love Helen

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
Thanks everyone. Just back from visiting. I was able to give her about half a beaker of thickened water, small amout of dinner and some ice-cream which she swallowed without choking. I seem to be able to do it better than the nurses . It needs alot of time.

Hope she can go back to the home on monday as they will have more time for her.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
That sounds a bit more hopeful, Pammy. Let's hope she manages to get back to the home on Monday.

Thanks for letting us know.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Pammy,

Sorry, sounds so feeble, but I really am sorry. It is so painful to watch. I hope your little bit better news continues and hope you find the strength to cope.

With love

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
Visited last night. Win had not eaten anything offered to her by the nurses refused to open her mouth. When I got there her teeth were coming out and she was covered in gravy type food. What a mess. Cleaned her up and they gave me a yoghurt for her which she ate along with some thickened water. she was falling asleep all the while I was giving it to her. The manager of the home comes today to see if she can go back , if not the nurse said hospital social workers will get involved.

Hope she can go back, as i should be away for a few days at easter and I would feel better if she was there.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Pammy

Sorry things were not so good last night, but at least you managed to get Win to eat something. It sounds as if she'd be better off in the NH, they'd have more time to care for her.

I do hope the meeting goes well today. You deserve to enjoy your break without worrying.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Pammy,

If Win can`t go back to the NH, what will the involvement of hospital social workers be. Do you know?

It`s so sad that you can get her to eat, but the nurses don`t have the time.
But however pressured they are, your sister shouldn`t be left in such a mess. It`s too upsetting for you and totally unfair for her.

Hope she gets more care from whatever source.

With love

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
last nights visit she was more alert and able to eat yoghurts, The nurse said she choked at dinner time so the SALT team said only cold foods which I think she should have still been having.
The home didn't turn up and the hospital didn't seem to know anything about it although it was written in the notes. I will ring them today to see if someone intends to go.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Pammy, thinking of you at this time. My heart bleeds for you. I can see this scenario waiting in the wings for Lionel. Take care sweetheart, look after yourself.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Pammy, there`s nothing like being let down, when you`re full of anxiety, is there. :rolleyes: Don`t these people have any understanding ?

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Please know that you and Win are both in my thoughts and I'm wishing you the strength to continue your loving caring at this very difficult time. Nell

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
Well back from short break although had to return early. Win was moved back to the care home on Friday and on saturday sent back to hospital with the same condition, choking on food aspirated and caused chest infection.

We are now back to where we were 2 weeks ago. Back on drip and antibiotics although the doctor last toime said no more intervention she is under another doctor now so she is back on the same things again and they are talking about peg feeding.

It is not what we want or what she wouild ever have wanted. Now she is unable to move, bed sores, on oxygen, cathertised with drips in her arm and sleeping, but she is in a poor state, not how we would want her to be,

well have to see what happens this time.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Pammy,

How painful for you to watch your sister in this state. I sincerely hope she isn`t suffering as much as you are.

Take care

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
My brother and I went to see Win this afternoon. Chest infection now pneumonia and they have put a tube up her nose to clear the phlegm.

spoke to senior doctor who has agreed gastric feeding would not be appropriate.

she will either get over the pneumonia and have a little food or not.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti