No medication

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
So had the long awaited visit from the Memory team today - only to be told they will not be prescribing any medication as it will not be beneficial to his cognitive ability which is too far declined ! I had clung to the hope that there would be something that could help - I'm guessing this is not good news.

Feel sad, despairing and helpless !

juniepoonie

Jun 11, 2013
essex
So had the long awaited visit from the Memory team today - only to be told they will not be prescribing any medication as it will not be beneficial to his cognitive ability which is too far declined ! I had clung to the hope that there would be something that could help - I'm guessing this is not good news.

Feel sad, despairing and helpless !

sorry tiggs that you didn't get the result that you had hoped for! I don't have any advice only to say that my BIL had been on meds for 4years an was taken off them few moths ago as the medical team said no point any more. do understand your detress an hope you are ok. juniepoonie

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
You are quite entitled to get a second opinion, although there are no guarantees you would get a different answer.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I'm so sorry you had this news.

I'm assuming it was because of the score from a MMSE test? This happened when my OH went to be assessed for Aricept. His score was 7/30-the cut off point was 10/30 (or so I was told). I appealed and he was accepted for the medication. Unfortunately the meds were no good as it made his asthma and COPD worse.

Try speaking to his consultant or sending an e mail to him if you feel you want to plead his case.

Good luck and take care

Lyn T

min88cat

Apr 6, 2010
My MIL also scored 7/30 on the only test she ever had. ThenConsultant wouldn't prescribe anything for her as he said the side effects could be dreadful for her, it could also cause upset stomachs, as she was managing to cope with her colostomy bag at the time, we decided to take his advice. We haven't regretted it, she's had a gradual dignified decline into where she is now.

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
I'm so sorry you had this news.

I'm assuming it was because of the score from a MMSE test? This happened when my OH went to be assessed for Aricept. His score was 7/30-the cut off point was 10/30 (or so I was told). I appealed and he was accepted for the medication. Unfortunately the meds were no good as it made his asthma and COPD worse.

Try speaking to his consultant or sending an e mail to him if you feel you want to plead his case.

Good luck and take care

Lyn T

Hi lyn

Yes essentially his last score was 5 out of 30 and he has a heart condition yesterday. The guy from the memory clinic was very good in fairness - he chatted to dad and asked him about his daily routine and all he would respond with was about a broken window handle (his latest obsession)!!!!

Essentially he said there was very little cognitive function left and that the tablets and the side affects wouldn't bring any benefits. I guess I have been kidding myself that we could do something to halt the rapid decline he had experienced over the last few months.

X

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
Thanks all for your kind comments and thoughts. I guess I'm going to have to try and remain positive some how.

Sitting here with my morning coffee and cigarette wondering what the day will bring - dreading making my early morning call to him as I no longer know how to help him - and yet another long day in work which I will spend feeling guilty that I'm not with him.

X

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
However many times we tell ourselves this is a progressive illness, the progression is hard to come to terms with.

I`m sorry tiggs and everyone else who lives with hope something can delay the progression. I`m sorry for myself too.