No long term memory either - has anyone else dealt with this?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
It seems to be a bit of a myth that the vast majority of PWD develop serious short-term memory problems whilst retaining a decent long-term memories. My wife's long-term and short-term memories are both pretty useless now, and I know she'e certainly not unique in this.

helen_m_b

Apr 25, 2016
I took Dad out for a drive today (something I've been doing ever since he was no longer fit to drive) and for the first 30 mins kept telling me he was worried. He was so frustrated with not being able to tell me why 'cos he couldn't find the words. I just kept changing the subject with references to what we could see enroute etc and it turned out it was Mum's name he couldn't remember and this made him anxious. He didn't say today he wanted to leave the CH just that why couldn't Mum be there with him too (they've been together nearly 70 years). There is no way on earth I'd get Mum to live there too, LOL.

I did however find the pdf on comsassionate communication really helpful today, making sure when I was explaining things several times that I used the same words/phrases each time. He did eventually stop asking so I think it helped him (and me to understand his world). It's all too easy to expect them to come into our world when it should be us who must go into theirs.

jjude

Jan 4, 2011
England
For the last six months of his life dad memory was also gone both long and short term just the odd moment of clarity. I used to play his favourite music to him and he seemed to enjoy that as I was rewarded with lots of hand squeezes. I also used to sing (think he would of told me to shut up though if he could of) along to the music with him. This also helped me to spend meaningful time with him. Big hugs