No Health and Well-being POA

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Hello,

I hold POA for Finances for my Mum but do not hold one for Health and Well-being. Not having the latter has up till now made no difference as I am very happy with the care Mum has received at the home and also with medical professionals.

However I am now wondering if I should get one done. Mum was always very diligent about getting a flu injection and has had one each year she has been in the home. However this year they said the GP who is attached to the home is no longer doing them and now they are bringing in a local pharmacy to do it and it will be a clinical decision of the pharmacy staff who attend whether Mum will get the flu jab or not.
The home say they do not want the responsibility of making everyone have it incase a resident has an adverse reaction and it is not a nursing home with attendant nurses on site.

Does this happen in other homes? I would have thought in a closed environment with vulnerable people it would be a matter of public health to actively promote it. I know Mum would want it and would indeed be able to request it when they go and I want her to have it too but the staff at the home told me without the POA those doing the jabs could decide not to do Mum.
Any advice?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Firstly, is your mum still capable of understanding a POA , able to decide who to be her attorney and sign for it?

If the answer is no, then Im afraid that there is nothing you can do.
If she still has capacity, then go for it, although many people have had problems with the signing and witnessing due to covid restrictions.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Hello,

I hold POA for Finances for my Mum but do not hold one for Health and Well-being. Not having the latter has up till now made no difference as I am very happy with the care Mum has received at the home and also with medical professionals.

However I am now wondering if I should get one done. Mum was always very diligent about getting a flu injection and has had one each year she has been in the home. However this year they said the GP who is attached to the home is no longer doing them and now they are bringing in a local pharmacy to do it and it will be a clinical decision of the pharmacy staff who attend whether Mum will get the flu jab or not.
The home say they do not want the responsibility of making everyone have it incase a resident has an adverse reaction and it is not a nursing home with attendant nurses on site.

Does this happen in other homes? I would have thought in a closed environment with vulnerable people it would be a matter of public health to actively promote it. I know Mum would want it and would indeed be able to request it when they go and I want her to have it too but the staff at the home told me without the POA those doing the jabs could decide not to do Mum.
Any advice?
@father ted i don’t have health and welfare either but my husband’s home phoned me, it was a mini best interests meeting, to ask if I gave permission for him to be given the flu jab. I agreed that he could be given of course.