No flu jab for me!

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
I know this sounds really selfish and it's very silly but I refuse to have my flu jab. I care for my Mum (AD), and daughter (various conditions including suspected asbergers and a chronic pain syndrome) my son(chronic pain syndrome) and to some degree my husband (mobility problems). The way I see it is if I get flu I know I will feel ghastly, but at least I WILL stay in bed for "x" no of days and sleep for hours and hours, and they can all live of microwave meals or cups of tea and biscuits until I recover. I'm just so tired I want a reason to stay in bed for a week, so sorry but "No flu jab for me!"

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
I am with you on this one. Knowing my luck I will get flu during one of my respite breaks so on reflection I will have my fly jab on Monday as planned.

Dick

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
It's your decision, but do keep in mind that flu can do more than make you feel rotten for a week - it can lay you low for a lot longer than that, but worse still, it can lead to hospitalisation or even in extreme cases be fatal. It's also possible to develop complications with secondary infections like pneumonia. The flu jab is offered to carers because of the serious consequences if they are taken ill and unable to care, but also I believe because it cuts down the risk of their passing the flu on to people around them.

I've had proper flu just once, and that was enough; a raging fever followed by two weeks being unable to get out of bed followed by another two of being functional but feeling awful. I made the mistake of somehow getting to see the GP and nearly passed out in the surgery!

As an asthmatic flu is classed as more serious for me, anyway, so I can't risk going without the jab no matter what.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I agree with Nebiroth, real flu is a killer, and at best makes you very ill for a fortnight. Added to that, there would be the worry of what was happening to the loved ones, and the temptation to crawl downstairs just to make sure they're eating --- no, I'll take the jab!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Bristolbelle,
Why don`t you have the flu jab, to save yourself from the ravages of flu, and just `pretend` you`re ill and have a few days in bed. You`ll enjoy it much more. :)

Seriously though, no-one should get as tired as you are, and if your family could live off microwave meals and cups of tea and biscuits if you were ill, then what`s the harm in letting them do the same for a few days, even if you`re well.

Take some time out for yourself. :)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
When the flu Jab first came out I was working full time don't know why but they offered it to me . Me thinking it would prevent me from getting the flu so would not need time of from work .

I know this sounds really selfish and it's very silly but I refuse to have my flu jab

Well I never had a cold so bad in my life , that I had to take a week of work :rolleyes:, No I am with you on that no flu jab for me also thanks- you .

Week in bed sounds lovely , but no way with the feeling of the flu or a bad cold .

Must say thought , one of my daughter has asthma she had it last year , she was fine :confused: also so mum

Last edited:

allylee

Feb 28, 2005
west mids
Hi Bristolbelle,

I refuse the flu jab too and Im offered it because I work in healthcare.

There are hundreds of strains of flu virus and theres no way a vaccine can protect you from them all.

I take my soluble vitamin c all through the winter and touch wood Ive never been struck down.

Im a healthy 40 something though, but I do advocate that my patients and the elderly and infirm get the jab.

Love Ally xx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I've been getting my jab ever since my mother moved into care. It's not so much for my health as for the health of the vulnerable population in the care facility should I happen to bring the flu into the home. There, it certainly can be a killer.

Bristolbelle, your situation is different, as you are caring for people at home. But, as Nebiroth said, real flu is much different than people think. I notice a lot of people calling something flu, when it is actually just a cold. Go with Sylvia's recommendation, get the jab & then pretend you're sick. You sound like you need some respite, quite honestly. If you could manage it somehow, what about just going to a hotel for a few days? Doesn't have to be anywhere expensive or exciting - even just the next town. But I always enjoy staying in hotels as someone else makes the bed & cleans the room, I have to eat every meal out (heaven:) ) and generally just spoil myself.

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
I have had flu twice in my life, the first time in 1957 when I spent a week in hospital! The second time was three years ago which was bad but not as bad as the first time so a jab is the lesser of two evils.

Dick

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Intersting thread. I work in a University, come into contact with hundreds of students, sometimes thousands in a week, many from foreign parts (just flown in), and mum is in a care home.

I'm off to get the jab. I once had "mild flu" and was out of it for two weeks.

Then I'm booking into that hotel and pretending I am ill - great idea!

Margaret

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
While on holiday I got 2 massive cold sore on my lip , which every one said was from the sun .

Now this morning another 2 have pop up under my nose , I've got that special cream that help it go away , but feel those waring sigh tingeing under the skin on my face , so more are going to pop up if I don't put the cream on

was going to start new thread , but seeing that this thread about the flu jab , thought I would just type in hear , as now am thinking go am I going to get a cold or flu as I have cold sore popping up now

I have not had them in the past few years .

As would the flu jab help ? as in stopping me getting cold sores . they seen to be coming thick fast this past mouth , why when I have had respite so how can I be run down?

any idea of any good vitamin tablets that I could take that may help in stop getting cold sore or cold ?

Last edited:

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Cold sores

Margarita as far as i understands it cold sores are only caused by the herpes simplex virus and it's nearest relation is actually chickenpox and shingles not colds and flu!
However the virus lays dormant and can be triggered at any time by a number of things such as stress, being ill (hence why they sometimes pop up when you have a cold and your immune system is a bit weak) and sunlight/wind.
I've tried all the usual cures as I used to get horrendous ooutbreaks at times. Eventually a frined told me about a new product called a "Virulite" it emits a ray of special light a bit like ultra violet. You put in on the sore as soon as you feel it , and apply it as per the instructions. I found that after using this for a few months I was getting far less sores, and those that came up were a LOT smaller and went away gain very quickly often not even coming to a full sore. It was quite expensive (about £40) but sometimes now I go several months without a cold sore and they are still smaller than they used to be. Even in conditions when my face would have looked like the surface of the moon. I haven't bought a second one (the batteries are sealed in) because the sores I get no just don't warrant the expense but I'm very glad I had the first one.
Hope this helps

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Maggie, as Bristolbelle says, cold sores have no connection with colds or flu.

An ex-neighbour of ours returned home from every holiday he had with cold sores around his mouth and he was as fit as a fiddle. :)

I`ve never had one in my life but believe they are very irritating. hope yours clears up soon.

Love xx

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Yeah, it's just a confusion arising from the name, as "cold sores" have nothing to do with the viruses that cause colds or influenza, but are caused by their own little nasties.

Thus, the flu jab wouldn;t do a thing to stop them.

I rather suspect the association has arisen because the virus that causes them never really goes away but is kept in check most of the time by the immune system. However, if you go down with something else, then the virus opportunistically gets going again. So you are more likely to get cold sores if you also have a cold/flu, or get run down through stress, or don;t do well in cold weather.

I guess that summer sunlight also helps, and cold weather reduces blood flow to your lips etc, so that also might explain why they are "cold sores".

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
yes thanks Bristolbelle thanks that was a great help also skye Nebiroth . mine are also small but so painful if I don't put cream on .

Yeah, it's just a confusion arising from the name, as "cold sores" have nothing to do with the viruses that cause colds or influenza, but are caused by their own little nasties.

Now I never new that .

all I new was that if someone kisses you while you have one , you can catch it and I always remember mum use to have them , She would always kiss hello , good bye with a kiss on my lips , then when I get it I never kiss my children , when I had an outbreak even if its one . they have to kiss me on my cheeks , I won't even kiss then on the face in case they get it .

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
On the subject of flu jabs .......

Hi all - sorry I'm side-tracking a bit from the original post but thought it worth sharing my experience of taking mum for her jab ......

Given waiting areas and mum do not tend to mix well :)rolleyes: ) I asked the surgery if the GP would administer the vaccine during a consultation (which was needed for other reasons anyway) - How glad I asked!!!! Surgery was like a bun fight!!!!!! Mum was hugely unsettled by the hustle and bustle ...... the 'flu clinic' running alongside normal 'practice hours' was nothing like normal surgery - even I was getting stressed by the number of people crammed into the waiting area, (compounded by people having to 'sit' for five minutes post-vaccine before leaving the surgery). The general noise and the military style operation needed to get everyone through the clinic even with an appointments system was not a good environment for a dementia sufferer ..... with hindsight I should have made the same request AND asked that the consultation not coincide with the 'Flu clinic' days .........

Perhaps other GPs and practices might not be as sympathetic to requests to 'by-pass' the system they have put in place to administer the jabs ..... but thought I'd throw it in anyway ......

Love Karen, x