No daycare for us

Del24

Aug 17, 2014
Hertfordshire
You learn something new every day I just found out that my wife can't go to a day centre ever because being diabetic she has to have insulin injections 3 times a day.
Has anyone had encountered this.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I haven't personally encountered this particular problem. I presume that you give the injections to your wife when she is home with you.

Could a district nurse not call in to the day centre? Have you spoken to your GP and or the practice nurse at the surgery may be able to help.

Has your wife a social worker who may be able to arrange for a nurse to visit the care home?

You must have this short break each week you cannot because staff cannot meet your wife's medication needs is shocking.

Best wishes to you

xxTinaT

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't think its the Day Centre's fault. They are probably restricted in what they are allowed to do. I was told by ours that they can give pills but they can't keep meds on the premises, so the antibiotics had to travel back and forth each day. I assume if you work somewhere you have to be trained to be allowed to give injections.
Hopefully a GP can arrange someone from community services to help.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm speculating here, but I wonder if it's not so much the giving the injection (I have a friend who's a type 1 diabetic and when she injects herself it's in the leg, through her clothes) but more the testing before hand, the requirement to read the test to ensure you aren't giving too much or too little insulin, the need to make sure you don't inject in the same site every time: basically the whole thing. And I have to say, I wouldn't want an untrained person to be injecting me with something that could actually kill me if they got it wrong, nor would I be willing to put any of my employees in that position.

I think Tina's idea about a district nurse is probably the only option. That or perhaps instead of one "day" at day care, two half days so insulin is still given by you.