No communication

Peppie

Jul 9, 2017
Hi my dad is in a care home been there since August what I wanted to now if anyone can help is should I expect to be informed if dad has a fall or has been put on more medication. My dad was given zopiclone sleeping tablets I knew nothing about this he then got up in the night and fell in the bathroom this I was also not informed about till later. Are they allowed to request Meds from GP without even talking to me about it luckily he wasn't hurt to bad I appreciate any thoughts on this
Thank you.

Shell0269

Jan 9, 2019
Hi, the care home should definitely be informing if your dad has fallen, however if medication needs prescribing that’s not always the case, but should be common curtesy to update you

Peppie

Jul 9, 2017
Hi, the care home should definitely be informing if your dad has fallen, however if medication needs prescribing that’s not always the case, but should be common curtesy to update you
Thank you yes that's what I thought but there's been a few things I haven't been told about but different staff tell me different reasons so never really get a straight answer.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I think it depends.
if your PWD falls 3 times a day, every day, doesnt hurt themselves etc, then its fine for them not to tell you everytime.

An occasional faller that cases no injuries ? yes they probably should but its not essential.

A fall that results in a trip to A&E for x-rays and stitches- yes of course

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Change to medication..
Again I think it depends.

Do you have POA ? I think this makes a difference.
The stuff between a GP and their patient is deemed to be confidential- is he deemed to have capacity?

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother's care home call me if she falls and has any sign of injury. If no injury they do still call to inform me - I don't know if they do this every time, but I've had a couple of calls. She has been in her care home for nearly a year and she has had several falls, from very minor to breaking her hip and needing surgery. I only have finance LPA, not H&W, so they are just informing me as next of kin.

I am not aware she has been put on any meds, but I think if she had they would tell me as they seem pretty proactive at disclosure, and also quite reluctant to medicate unless really vital.

marko b

Sep 17, 2014
Hi my dad is in a care home been there since August what I wanted to now if anyone can help is should I expect to be informed if dad has a fall or has been put on more medication. My dad was given zopiclone sleeping tablets I knew nothing about this he then got up in the night and fell in the bathroom this I was also not informed about till later. Are they allowed to request Meds from GP without even talking to me about it luckily he wasn't hurt to bad I appreciate any thoughts on this
Thank you.
Hi my wife is in a care home and I had the same problem they never informed me of any falls or when they changed her medication.
I put in a written letter to the manager and told them that I wonted to be informed of any falls and now they informe me of every fall small or large. But with the medication it was a bit harder even as my wife’s next of kin they said that I had to have to apply for legal documents so that I could question a doctor or seciatris decision on medication but by been vocal and persistent they now inform me of any changes. It is so annoying that you have to fight all the time just to get the best for someone you love

T4bsF

Jul 21, 2015
Re: Jessbow's comment. If a patient is falling that many times a day - then they should be referred to a dedicated Falls Team - if you have one in your area. If not that many falls should definitely be investigated as to the cause........ which can sometimes be as easily fixable as a better fitting pair of slippers or as complicated as a concoction of warring medication that the patient/loved one/client is taking. Also in the interim - special paddings can be worn to minimise any damage whilst being invetigated.

ChocolateBrownie

Nov 21, 2018
It is so annoying that you have to fight all the time just to get the best for someone you love

How true ... I was summoned to meet care home manager this week who was unhappy about concerns which had been raised - all has been acted on and led to improvements, so were shown to be valid.
She also accused me of asking for PWD to be taken to the toilet when he didn’t need to go - as the carer didn’t hear him ask me - why would anyone do that?

Grable

May 19, 2015
My brother and I had POA for our mum, so this might make a difference, but …
We were informed both times she fell, because the home wanted my brother to leave work and drive 50 miles to take her to the hospital the first time. The second time, they asked him to go to her town so that he could be with her while she was being dealt with. The first time, he did; the second he couldn't and so she was left at the hospital on her own. I, 200 miles away, was less than pleased, but could see that there would be staffing issues in accompanying and staying with her till she was admitted.
Medication changes I was informed about by Mum's doctor. I had a good relationship with her and she would phone me after she had visited Mum to tell me what had happened. I think she was so nice to me because she had her father with dementia in India and she knew how difficult it can be being away from your loved one in this situation. This all came out when I went to see her about Mum on my own - it's worth making those connections if you can.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I just had a phone call which made me think of Peppie's question about medication.

This evening I had a call from the pharmacist who arranges the medication for my mother's care home. She had just done a review for my mother, and wanted to run through everything with me, telling me all the medication and doses (it was exactly as I thought, except they have just changed her pain relief). Towards the end of the conversation she asked if I had LPA, and I said yes but only finance not H&W. She said it didn't matter, it wouldn't make any difference to what she said to me, it was just a box to tick on the form. So all the info I got was as next of kin. I've never had any problem with either the care home or my mother's medics revealing information to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abelbeyene2015