No bedtime soon

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Looks like I'm in for a long night, mum is showing no signs of going to bed soon, not even willing to put nightie on tonight, but she is laying on sofa so hopefully very soon I can guide her into bedroom. Thought I'd start a new thread because I cannot access any of the many others I've started! Been looking at my old school reports today,all in a box my brother brought over last week, they are not great, most of them are from primary school. A lot of c's and b's. Apparently my work was satisfactory, but could do better, but my attendance was very good, this I can remember well, I was sent to school wind rain snow storms measles high temp, no electricity or heating I was there and I even remember going to school without knickers! did not get sent home. Some of the subjects have no mark at all so I suppose I failed and the teachers obviously thought not worth making a comment! With all those c's and b's I have done amazingly well. Of course i'm feeling nostalgic because it is my 60th birthday next month, I know this because my usual birthday spot is growing on my chin!

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Snap!! I think I'm in for a long night too!! My mum who has vascular dementia is lying wide awake! I have just came home from having 3 hrs off visiting a friend . I have a fabulous personal carer for my mum who insisted I go out for a few hours while she watched my mum. I think the heat is disturbing her sleep but I've just checked on her and she's sitting up in bed with glasses, watch etc on wondering if we can go out. Let's hope both of us manage to get some sleep. Good luck.

Ash148

Jan 1, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
It's surprising to me, very unsentimental unnostalgic type, how much mum's dementia sends me in the direction of reminiscing, with dad, with my siblings, with old photos and papers.

Have a good night, Tin, even if it doesn't include enough sleep.

copsham

Oct 11, 2012
Oxfordshire
Hello Tin
I find it amazing that the mother who kept school reports and original birth certificates is the same one who cannot now remember a birthday. It is so strange and something different is always happening.

Do you find you are chronologically 60 but are not ready to be "old" yet. I feel much younger not ready to go down that path yet! May i be the first to wish you HAPPY BIRTHDAY for next week X:)

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Thank you Copsham, will still be 59 next week! My annual chin spot keeps me young. Having mum here has made me think more about my childhood, so as she's forgetting I'm remembering so much more. Was not a great night, up and down a lot and then up for good from 4.30 and because we had a bit of a disagreement around that time, she has been packing her bags all morning.

A week ago mum stopped taking Mirtazapine, I was a bit concerned it was increasing her anxieties rather than easing, but realised last night that it is actually still helping. so back to her daily 15mg dose and its a stay at home day. See if I can get her interested in some light housework.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Knew last night was going to be a sleepless one, can't give mum a sleeping pill every night. So I took a nap in afternoon and then pulled out another box from garage ready to check out. Don't think my 'family tree' is quite as prim and proper as I thought. Found lots of bits of paper and letters with interesting stories. On the maternal side, my grandmother had an illegitimate child and spent 2 months in a paupers 'hospital' because my great grandmother would not have her back in the house. Same great grandmother gave birth to 15 children of which 11 survived, but 2 of these children she simply gave away to a neighbour. A year later same neighbour emigrated to America. Same great grandmother was apparently well known for her home made gin!! Her husband, my great grandfather made extra money as a street fighter and his brother kept a book. One of mums older brothers disappeared just after ww2 started and has never been seen since, but he left behind 2 wives [no divorce] each with 2 children!!! It looks like after the war things kind of calmed down in my family, and my generation were always told it was my dads side of the family that was full of rogues and gadabouts! and I was told off for cutting my dolls hair!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
What a colourful history Tin. From no knickers to a Granny who made gin - I can feel a BBC adaptation coming on. It is the home of Dickens epics after all!