Nightmares?

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I have tried an elementary search for this topic but no luck.

My husband has been complaining of having nightmares. They seem to be occurring a lot more frequently and he can't remember much about them but I know he is finding them very disturbing. He has never been one to have experienced much in the way of nightmares before AD.

He has recently had a bit of a downturn in his AD just in the last couple of weeks, and though it hasn't precisely coincided with the nightmares, I feel that there is a connection. He has told me that he is aware that his physical health is going downhill and though that is not unexpected, he is finding it difficult to deal with.

Does anyone else have experience of this?

Rich PCA Carer

Aug 31, 2015
North Gloucestershire, UK
Nightmares can apparently be a side effect of Donepezil (aka Aricept), perhaps the recent downturn is associated with the change. We have been advised that taking the medication in the morning rather than evening can help with sleep issues.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
My wife has been more settled in relation to nightmares and early morning hallucinations since Memantine was added to her Donepezil.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Is your husband on any other medication Lawson? My dad did not have AD but was on quite a lot of other medication for high blood pressure, cholesterol etc and also had disturbing dreams. I wonder if it could be a side effect of another , or even a combination of medications.

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
Is your husband on any other medication Lawson? My dad did not have AD but was on quite a lot of other medication for high blood pressure, cholesterol etc and also had disturbing dreams. I wonder if it could be a side effect of another , or even a combination of medications.

I have tried an elementary search for this topic but no luck.

My husband has been complaining of having nightmares. They seem to be occurring a lot more frequently and he can't remember much about them but I know he is finding them very disturbing. He has never been one to have experienced much in the way of nightmares before AD.

He has recently had a bit of a downturn in his AD just in the last couple of weeks, and though it hasn't precisely coincided with the nightmares, I feel that there is a connection. He has told me that he is aware that his physical health is going downhill and though that is not unexpected, he is finding it difficult to deal with.

Does anyone else have experience of this?
May I just add that nightmares were an early indication to my hubbys LBD with no medications being taken .He still has these nightmares which he truly believes and are very upsetting for him.
They are a part of some people's dementia related illness and medications can also trigger them
In some people .xx

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia

My husband takes a massive number of drugs for his cardiac problems, bladder control etc. He took donepezil when he was first diagnosed with AD but it upset his tummy so has been on rivastigmine patches for about three years now. There haven't been any changes to his drug regime for years apart from his warfarin so I would be surprised if it was a reaction to his meds. But anything is worth considering if it makes life easier for him. We have an appointment with his GP early in January so will run it past him. Thanks.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
May I just add that nightmares were an early indication to my hubbys LBD with no medications being taken .He still has these nightmares which he truly believes and are very upsetting for him.
They are a part of some people's dementia related illness and medications can also trigger them
In some people .xx
I think his nightmares are a part of the progression of his illness but there hasn't been any thought of LBD though the geriatrician is up to a fourth variation of Alzheimer's. A friend's mum has LBD and she is very different to my husband, but then he isn't quite like anybody else with Alzheimer's either. It must be so frightening for him and I am trying to reassure him as best I can.