Nightmare

Turner87

Dec 17, 2018
HELP!

My father put in for a LPA naming myself and my son as his attorneys back in December. It was due to be registered 20th Feb. We were desperate to get this in place as his niece (who he thinks is his girlfriend) is robbing him blind- emptied his bank account of 6k. Police dont want to hear anything and social services will barely give me any information about what is going on. I received a letter today to say that my father objected to his power of attorney being put in place- I know this was his niece as there is no way he would have taken himself to the solicitor to sort it. I also received an email from his caseworker to say that they are applying for a court of protection order to take control of his finances. The letter I received from the opg says that if I feel he lacks the capacity to object then I can register the LPA with the court of protection. I rang them but they said it is too early to do this as they dont even have his case number yet. I am so so worried that this woman will appoint herself his deputy and take charge of all his affairs. Can anyone help im getting desperate and have contacted several solicitors but I know I wont be able to sleep tonight with all this going on.

lis66

Aug 7, 2015
,Hi turner87 and welcome to talking point,I was just going to ask does your father have the capacity to object to you registering LPA surley if he has a physcratist they can clarify his mental state of mind also would your niece not need LPA to manage his affairs, I know when the courts get involved it can be costly I'm sure the Alzheimers helpline can offer you advice I hope you get sorted as this is a worrying situation

monkeygirl15

Oct 1, 2017
Hi Turner87 - I've just seen your other post.

The reason the SS will be applying for CoP for finances will be because of the Safeguarding issue and to protect him from his niece. Once an application has been put in, interested parties have to, by law, be notified. So you will be informed directly from the CoP and you then have the chance to object and ask to be put in place. I know it is worrying but it sounds like they are taking this step to stop any more emptying of his funds.

I hear your desperation re. the police not wanting to get involved. A relative of my mum used her card to the tune of over £20,000. After months of so called investigation, no action was taken, police not interested etc. The excuse was that as my mum no longer had the capacity to say that she hadn't said the money could be taken. although there was no doubts where the money had gone. I tried everything including CoP and my local MP. It stinks but at least SS are taking some action to protect your dad. You will have the chance to take that back if an application goes in.

Try to sleep...I know it's really hard and worrying

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba