Nightmare week, Perfect ending !!!

Josh

Jun 24, 2007
Nottingham
My mum being the main career for my Gran, was completely burnt out both mentally and physically, when one of her old friends, asked her to come and stay with her for a few days I told her she had to go, she had no choice but to go and relax for a few day.

Any way, this left me home alone with my Gran, and boy was it a tough week. I didn’t realise just how tough it was, everything seamed like an uphill struggle. Was starting to wish I was back working double shifts rather than having a week off work.

Today how ever was different, we were due to Drive down to Devon fetch mum home, but my gran refused point blank to even consider coming in the car with me. She insisted on staying at home claiming she would be fine, after about 30 minutes of attempting to reason with her, I said ok and gave her my partners number to call if she needed any thing (I also rang him before setting off an arranged for him to pop round and hour or so after I left , Sneaky I know but its just to make sure she is safe)

When mum and I arrived home the table was set (we don’t even normally eat at the table any more) dinner was cooked, and a bottle of wine was opened!!!

Apparently no sooner had I pulled out of the drive, Gran was on the phone to Ben asking him if he could take her shopping as she wanted to cook a surprise meal for us all (amazing she even remembered where her purse was lol, she doesn’t normally)

She had cooked a Roast (beef), Mash Potatoes. Broccoli, Carrots, Roast potatoes, parsnips, and even made her own Gravy !!! (always loved Gran’s gravy no one makes it quite the same)

Not only that but she even made a trifle !!!

I am still in shock, Ben insists he had nothing to do with it and that it was all her idea, although he did help her out peeling the spuds!

Its almost as if she planned the whole thing in advance.

Its been a great day, its like just for today the alzheimers wasn’t their, and if it was it sure as hell wouldn’t beat her today.

Just wanted to share this.

Josh
- x -

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
And it `s well worth sharing Josh.

How amazing! To some extent it`s like a Herculean feat, and it`s unexplainable where the strength [and organization skills] come from.

I hope there are more to come.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Josh said:
Any way, this left me home alone with my Gran, and boy was it a tough week.

This was very considerate of you Josh, your a very caring son and grandson.

but my gran refused point blank to even consider coming in the car with me. She insisted on staying at home claiming she would be fine,

I know that feeling only to well.

She had cooked a Roast (beef), Mash Potatoes. Broccoli, Carrots, Roast potatoes, parsnips, and even made her own Gravy !!! (always loved Gran’s gravy no one makes it quite the same)

Not only that but she even made a trifle !!!

What a wonderful surprise,and a wonderful memory to hold. Take Care. Taffy.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Josh, what an amazing surprise. It was wonderful that your gran was able to plan and cook such a meal as a surprise.

And well done you and Ben for giving her the opportunity to show what she could do, as well as giving your mum a well-earned break.

Top marks all round!:)

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Josh, what an amazing Gran you have! She must have felt very strongly that she wanted to celebrate your Mum's return home - so nice for your Mum! (and you!). And what a wonderful son your Mum has in you! Sounds like a really lovely family all round.