Nightime disruption

mcdn

Dec 10, 2014
Hi all

my Mum has early vascular dementia and often has disturbed nights due to what we think is tinnitus.

This generally manifests itself by waking up and wandering around the house checking things like the boiler/alarm system thinking the sound she hears comes from them malfunctioning.

When I talk to her during the day she does seem to be able to rationalise this and agrees that the noise is tinnitus - although she denies that it's causing disruption (forgets?).

The cycle then repeats of course.

Is there any merit in encouraging her to write something down that she keeps next to the bed - an aide memoire of some kind, I guess could be a clearly written A4 board - that will remind her when she wakes up that the noise is nothing to worry about?

Is this a technique which is used at all in coping with demenita I wonder? The idea is inspired by a large day/time display that the NHS have given her for the kitchen which reminds her what day (and time of the day) it is.

Thanks for any feedback.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My mother used to switch any thing electrical off, we woke up to the central heating switched off, the fridge off, the internet she specially didn't like anything with a light on it got switched off.
I think the night wandering is a pretty normal stage and the noises are her reason for doing it, it you wanted to try a reminder then on the door handle or back of the door of her room might be the most likely place as it couldn't be missed, ignored but not as easily missed an a note on the bedside table.
K

mcdn

Dec 10, 2014
thanks - when you say "stage" do you gather that is it something that dementia sufferers experience initially and then move on? Or was that just your personal experience?