Night Time Wandering

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I am sitting in bed in shock!
Our doorbell rang several times at just gone 3 am, my first thought on waking was that we had had a power cut as it rings when the electricity comes back on but it kept ringing so I went downstairs expecting a neighbour with an emergency. I called out who is it through the glass and imagine my horror when my mum replied, I opened the door and there she was, fully dressed with her handbag across her shoulders. Apparently she had been walking up and down the road for some time, she must have turned round at some point and and recognised the driveway as she passed. Mum did not know why she had gone out but for some time she has not recognised this house as her home, she thinks that she still has a house in Essex but strangely it is not one she has ever lived in but the road name she gives is near her parents house and might be the house my dad lived in with my nan when they were teenagers.
I can't believe that mum managed to get dressed and leave the house without me hearing her as she usually makes a lot of noise if she wakes up confused in the night, also, she is frightened of the dark and I would have bet money against her going outside on her own at night. I have confisticated her keys so unless she is going to climb out of a window she can't repeat that escapade although I think I will lock the windows in the morning too.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh @reedysue how scary! Im glad she was safe.
Yes, keep everything locked. You can also get door alarms which might make more noise if she tries to go out.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
This morning mum has no recollection of her nightlife escapade, I have no doubt that later I will be subjected to her searching for her keys which I have taken.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Social Services fitted front and back door alarms for us @reedysue. I don`t know if they are still able to do so or if it`s a postcode lottery, but they are available.

They were connected to a vibrating pad under my pillow which would wake me.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
What a worry for you Sue.

We had a pressure mat which sounded an alarm when Bill stood on it.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Social Services fitted front and back door alarms for us @reedysue. I don`t know if they are still able to do so or if it`s a postcode lottery, but they are available.

They were connected to a vibrating pad under my pillow which would wake me.

Thank you, without her keys mum will not be able to get out as the doors are the type that shoots bolts into the frame when locked, I will be contacting our GP this morning as for a couple of weeks she has been waking up at about 1am and wandering around downstairs saying where is everyone. It is typical as my OH went down to Essex to visit his mum yesterday so I am on my own with my mum for the next week.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
The 'firsts' of any change in pattern or behaviour are always a shock I am glad she returned safely to the house.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
What a worry for you Sue.

We had a pressure mat which sounded an alarm when Bill stood on it.
Can you tell me more about that pad @Izzy. I am contacting the OT this morning as John is getting up to go to the toilet during the night and can’t find his way there. The result is wet carpet and a lot of shampooing. He knows he needs to go and if I heard him getting out of bed I could direct him there.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I had a few. One lay on the floor beside the bed and when he stood on it an sla went off.

The last one was best. It went under his sheets, on to of the mattress. The alarm sounded when he moved to get out of bed as the orseeure if his body was lifted from the alarm mat. Thus one was connected to the community alarm which I didn’t lie as if sometimes went off when he was just restless. Most of the time I could deal with what he was doing. I eventually asked for it to be disconnected from community alarm. Sorry. I’m in chiropractor waiting room. I’ll try to find it online but may be called in!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
This was the floor one.

DAA2DCE8-4A90-40A9-8EF3-867F945D0845.jpeg

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Apologies for quick posts. I hope I’m not too late for your OT appointment @marionq

I got the second from the OT and I think I bought the first from Amazon.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I don’t want it connected to the alarm people so which do you recommend. I just want to hear him so I get up before he wets the floor.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I liked the second one when we got it disconnected from the community alarm. I’m sure the OT will have experience of these and I’m sure you can get it so it doesn’t connect with anything else. I liked it because the alarm went off before Bill’s feet hit the floor! It did mean I was wakened quite a lot but I preferred that.