Night sitters

BigJ

Nov 18, 2020
Hi. As a family we are thinking of trying night sitters to support my mum at home with the family providing day time care and support. Does anyone have experiences or advice they can share about this? Also has anyone got any ideas about who are the best type of providers. We live in east yorkshire. Any thoughts welcome. Many thanks.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi welcome to the forum. My mother in law had carers from an agency during the day but for adhoc night care she was quoted over £250 a night in the week, for a carer with no disturbance in the night. With disturbance the price rose considerably and over £300 for weekends and Bank Holidays. That was in 2018 so goodness knows what it is now. It was better value in a care home.

Sophie20

Jul 5, 2020
As a family we have looked into this have been quoted £145 - £169 per night from the same Care Company that does the day visits for Mum. I’m currently sleeping on a camp bed in the lounge ? Mum needs attending too either a couple of times a night on a good night or every hour on bad ones. I’m shattered so will probably pay for a couple of nights off if we can’t organise her move to a nursing home soon. Do you have a care company near you? They were very nice when we phoned for advice. Age UK also offer night sitters as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigJ

Nov 18, 2020
Hi welcome to the forum. My mother in law had carers from an agency during the day but for adhoc night care she was quoted over £250 a night in the week, for a carer with no disturbance in the night. With disturbance the price rose considerably and over £300 for weekends and Bank Holidays. That was in 2018 so goodness knows what it is now. It was better value in a care home.
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like a very expensive option to look at.

BigJ

Nov 18, 2020
As a family we have looked into this have been quoted £145 - £169 per night from the same Care Company that does the day visits for Mum. I’m currently sleeping on a camp bed in the lounge ? Mum needs attending too either a couple of times a night on a good night or every hour on bad ones. I’m shattered so will probably pay for a couple of nights off if we can’t organise her move to a nursing home soon. Do you have a care company near you? They were very nice when we phoned for advice. Age UK also offer night sitters as well.
Hi. Thanks for getting back. Oh heck- you must be exhausted. Luckily my mum sleeps pretty well on the whole at the moment but has fallen a few times in the night. I’ll do a bit of research about care companies and Age Uk. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

She-Luna

Jun 30, 2020
Hi BigJ

I have recently been looking at night care, and it IS expensive, although rates seem to vary. I am having to increase Mum's care, her worst time is morning when she first gets up and is very tearful and fretful. Her current care company charges around £220 for overnight 'waking' care (we're in south-west UK).

Maeny

Feb 28, 2020
If social services would arrange this( which they probably won't but worth speaking with them) it would be cheaper- we paid £160 per night privately and £100 per night to the council when ss arrange d it via the same company.... It is still costly though- almost the same as a live in carer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75