Night incontenence

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
This week my hubby wakes up wants to go to the toilet, by the time he has found the toilet he has finished, so it is from bedroom to toilet, l have put old towels down to soak it up, l do have Axminster carpets so they are tough. He says it is not me, its all the other people in the house, quite a challenge, l have now got incontinence pants, wish me luck that l will be able to get him to put them on tonight

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
Could you get a commode in the bedroom for the night?

I used to get my dad the extra absorbent in continuance pants from boots, bit like pull ups. They were great until he pulled them off!

Also you can get water proof pads to lay on carpet a bit like things you get to put on the floor for a puppy.

I would ask your doctor to get you a visit from the incontinence nurse, I think every area has one. She would be able to get you a commode and you might get some pads on the NHS.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
My husband uses a urinal bottle when he isn't well to save him going to the toilet, he just needs to sit on the side of the bed, I wonder if your husband would use one of them, they only cost a couple of pounds,

Good luck with the incontinence pants x

Roses40

Jan 25, 2015
manchester
I got the ones with an extended neck. This is working great at night and now in the day as he will use the urinal happily which means no mess around the toilet bowl

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Oh dear Pamann-not easy to deal with. A couple of very good suggestions. Have you also prepared for POSSIBLE wetting in the bed. It doesn't always happen of course. Perhaps you could get some info on duvet/mattress/pillow protection?

Re cleaning carpets so they don't smell' 1/3 of white vinegar to 2/3 water should do the trick, or even the spray you can get from pet shops to stop repeated accidents-all smell reducers.

Sorry you are both dealing with this my lovely

I hope the pull ups work

Love

LKyn T XX

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you everyone for your advice, l do have a comode, which l had when my Grandmother lived with us, but it has no potty, maybe l could get one to fit. See how l get on with the pants, l don't always wake up when he does, as l get so tired nothing wakes me, so don't know where he is or what he is doing, the joys of Alzheimers!!!!!☺

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you Lyn l do have white vinegar as l put it in the washing machine, helps to stop scaling, good tip, l do have kylie sheets on the bed just incase, hubby went to bed at 5pm so early, he seems to be getting so tired now, as he is awake so early, l have to wake him when l go to bed to take sleeping pill.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I would definitely consider getting an appointment with the continence nurse. Ours doesn't do home visits but we go to the clinic. He/she will help you monitor the problem and advise on the best products. You should get some continence products free of charge. I think that different areas may have different rules about this. Your husband's changing needs will also e monitored. Pull up pants only suited my husband for a period of time. As the incontinence got worse he needed different products. We were given samples to try out before an order was put in for us.

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thank you everyone for your advice, l do have a comode, which l had when my Grandmother lived with us, but it has no potty, maybe l could get one to fit. See how l get on with the pants, l don't always wake up when he does, as l get so tired nothing wakes me, so don't know where he is or what he is doing, the joys of Alzheimers!!!!!☺

Oh I remember sleeping through Pete's nocturnal activities! Sometimes I woke up tp pure devastation:eek: Just a suggestion-but probably would be good to run by the GP. Do you think your OH is too drowsy from the sleeping tablet? Perhaps a half of a sleeping tablet would keep your OH aware enough that he had the urge to 'go' and still let him sleep ok? It's such a balancing act isn't it?

Love

Lyn T XX

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thanks lyn could give it a try, l will give him half tonight, he had the sleeping pills because he was up most of the night in and out of the shower, and several times shaving, the pills make him snore very loud, he has never been a snorer.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
What is it with shaving? Pete ruined his lovely skin by shaving up to 8 times a night with a wet razor. It was horrible. Hoping things improve for you Pamann.

Love,

Lyn T XX

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
I really don't know why this obsession with shaving, he will use anything to shave, shampoo, hair mousse, conditioner, doesn't recognise shaving gel anymore, must have tough skin stil looks ok. ☺

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Particularly difficult if the dribbles cover a large area pamann. I did find it useful to put a bathroom mat by the bed. It's one with the rubber sort of pattern on the back so it doesn't slip and it's easy to wash. The urine bottle has been a godsend, although I still have to remind OH of its existence when he tries to set off on an inevitably disastrous trip to the bathroom. Commode is similarly often useful We now have one on wheels which makes it more adaptable.
Re the Kylie sheets; I put a waterproof cover on the mattress, then a normal sheet, then the Kylie sheet. Over the Kylie sheet I put what I call a 'draw' sheet - just the same size. I've made them from old cotton sheets from the charity shop. If there is an accident I just have to wash the Kylie and draw sheet. I'm so glad we have separate mattresses!!:)
Pet spray is great. We had a very incontinent elderly dog and I used gallons of the stuff. My friends all assured me the house didn't smell of dog pee. Didn't ask my enemies. I found the cheapest option was to buy a bottle of urine eliminator carpet shampoo which I diluted and put in a spray bottle. Got it at a franchise in the supermarket. Hope some of these things are useful. Love, Es
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thanks es for your advice and Izzy, l gave hubby 1/2 sleeping pill last night, it worked no wee on floor, only in pants, he kept them on, fingers crossed for tonight☺

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
Perhaps what might help also would be to have two single beds instead of a double bed in your bedroom? That way if you do have wet bedding to deal with your bed isn't affected, and single size bedding is easier to cope with I find.

This worked with my late stepfather.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello cobden 28 we have had single beds, but after being married for 51yrs my hubby was so unhappy to be separated, so back to queen size bed, although we have plenty of room hubby still is close too me,

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hi pamann, do you still have the single bed mattresses, and if so could you put those on your queen sized bed? We have separate mattresses, I think because it's a king sized bed and too big to have a single one. It has made life so much easier since I started to make the matresses up individually and I only have to buy single bed sized Kylie sheets.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Es no l haven't got single mattresses now, hubby hasn't yet wet the bed, but sure this will happen, he wakes to go for a wee, by the time he gets to toilet he has done it, l now have padded pants which are washable, they soak up most of it, l have cut his sleeping pill in half, which has helped, thank you for your advice

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
We intermittently have the same problem, seems to coincide with chest infections. I have got him to wear the pull-up type pads but then he seems to improve again when the infection's gone so I don't make him wear them but then there's the odd accident like last night when he wet his PJs on his way to the bathroom. I am reluctant to use pads all the time if he doesn't need them but on the other hand don't want to clear up the results of the accidents either!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello jinx this problem has been going on for sometime, l know it doesn't get better, so when l tell him he is wetting at night he says its not me, its all the other people in the house, there is only me here, l did run a B & B for 15yrs, l think he is still thinking we have guests, also he thinks all these people are stealing his clothes, l have been told not to take him out everyday, then he will go to day care, l don't know what is best take him out or keep him in, any advice would be much appreciated,☺

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77