night bladder incontinence

topsy1

Apr 22, 2014
Ireland
Hi, has anyone any tips how to manage this, it happens every 2 or 3 nights, I get my mum to wear an incontinence pad and I have an undersheet that absorbs up to 3 litres under the bedsheet. If she wees it is soaked by morning. If she wakes up wet in the small hours, she does not realise she can change the bed and her clothes, so she gets dressed and wants me to join her for breakfast. In hospitals, night nurses can check patients every 2 hours or so, but I cant, it will wreck me! A night carer from an agency will be more expensive than a nursing home. Is there any tip out there for me please? Or is a nursing home the inevitable next step?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry to say I have no great words of encouragement for you. I check my husband every two to three hours through the night.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi, has anyone any tips how to manage this, it happens every 2 or 3 nights, I get my mum to wear an incontinence pad and I have an undersheet that absorbs up to 3 litres under the bedsheet. If she wees it is soaked by morning. If she wakes up wet in the small hours, she does not realise she can change the bed and her clothes, so she gets dressed and wants me to join her for breakfast. In hospitals, night nurses can check patients every 2 hours or so, but I cant, it will wreck me! A night carer from an agency will be more expensive than a nursing home. Is there any tip out there for me please? Or is a nursing home the inevitable next step?

Does she take any water tablets? Is there any reason why you think it happens every 2 or 3 nights as opposed to every night? Has she been tested for a Urinary tract Infection (UTI)?

How late does she have her last drink? If you think you can anticipate the nights it may happen how do you think she would respond if you get her up to go to the toilet? I know it is still disturbed sleep for you but if she went to the loo and then went back to sleep it may be a better option than you have at present. It's less disturbing being taken to the loo than lying in a wet bed so she may not want breakfast at 2am then hopefully.

Hope you can find a solution.
Best wishes
Sue

Last edited:

topsy1

Apr 22, 2014
Ireland
Thank you Izzy who replied to my post about night incontinence "I'm sorry to say I have no great words of encouragement for you. I check my husband every two to three hours through the night". I appreciate your honesty! Now I have a couple of weeks experience at this, and with the help of my camera baby monitor to tell me when mum is getting out of bed for a wee, absorbent under-sheets and higher absorbancy pads, i can at least take the wet incontinence pad off her and put a fresh one on. So the washing is reduced to about only every other day! She does not notice the pad is wet, which is a sort of blessing!

topsy1

Apr 22, 2014
Ireland
Thank you SueJ who replied to my post about night incontinence. Now I have a couple of weeks experience at this, and with the help of my camera baby monitor to tell me when mum is getting out of bed for a wee, absorbent under-sheets and higher absorbancy pads, i can at least take the wet incontinence pad off her and put a fresh one on. So the washing is reduced to about only every other day! She does not notice the pad is wet, which is a sort of blessing!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
My OH has incontinence and wees his bed without fail every night. I have bought a waterproof mattress cover plus two Kylie sheets which are very absorbent and draw the moisture away from the skin. They are also very comfortable to lie on so he sleeps well without waking up. I value my sleep and consequently I do not wake him to change him as I don't see the point - he will just wet himself again and it would give me double the work plus interrupted nights. I wash everything in the morning plus make sure he gets a thorough shower and apply Double Base to his skin to prevent any skin rashes or sorenesses.

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area
In the care home, which is a good one, they seem to monitor for pressure sores. If there is no sign then they don't change through the night, giving priority to getting enough sleep, and then a wash and cream each pad change .

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Mannie
I just thought that I would mention that this thread is 5 years old and the people who have responded have either been bereaved or no longer post on this forum.

When you respond to a thread, please do check on the date - it is displayed above the text.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caroline124