1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Nice world we live in!

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by copsham, Feb 11, 2016.

1. copsham

copsham Registered User

Oct 11, 2012
    Oxfordshire
    When I visited my mum today I read the newspaper to her choosing the "nice" things such as a famous person getting married or who won the lottery. She said " it's really good there's no more wars" I felt such a fraud when I agreed with her. She is mostly in a peaceful place and for that I am grateful!

2. Aisling

Aisling Registered User

Dec 5, 2015
    Ireland
    I think that is beautiful and you are wonderful. Well done.

Aisling (Ireland)

3. CJinUSA

CJinUSA Registered User

Jan 20, 2014
    eastern USA
    I agree with Aisling. Very well done. My mother is leaving us slowly but surely. She has no interest in politics, and they are quite wild here in the U.S. right now. She used to *live* and *breathe* the political news.

So nice for your mother that you are there to comfort her.

4. Elsie54

Elsie54 Registered User

Feb 24, 2012
    Cambridgeshire
    Sounds like you are doing a brilliant job. Since my mum has had dementia I've reached the conclusion that there's nothing wrong with a few white lies. I'm getting more inventive every day i.e. "dad's out shopping", "mum is looking after the boys" or her sister is on holiday. Sadly they all passed years ago but as long as mum is content in her ignorance of the facts I consider that no harm is being done.

5. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

I occasionally read the paper to my MIL when she was terminally ill (she didn't actually have dementia). I used to pick out the nice stories, or the funny ones, anything that might stimulate a bit of conversation. No point in focussing on the gloomy things when there is nothing the PWD could do about them anyway!