Nice moment.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Mum went to bed about 8.30pm last night (so did I as I was knackered), got her into her pj's and tucked her into bed, then she started asking questions about things.
She asked about her family, I tried explaining that only 2 of her brothers were still alive and haven't been near her for years, not even a card to ask how she was everytime she has been in hospital, last time I met one of them he suggested I put mum in a home as that's what his friend did with his mother, another brother (before he died) said I would have to give up uni, sell the house to pay for the fee's when mum goes into a home-family! She asked if her mum and dad were still alive, I said no and that we could go and visit their graves when the finer weather comes, she was happy about that, I said we could visit dad as well, she had forgotten he had died but wasn't upset (or didn't show it) when I told her.
Then we moved onto what she used to do before she married dad, then when they were married and when I came along. It was a bit like a trip down memory lane, a few things she had forgotten other things she remembers without any problem.
The one thing that is bothering me is that she thinks other people are in the house when its just the 2 of us, I tried explaining that I think she is getting mixed up between home and when she is at daycare (which is at a local CH) where there are a lot of people. She thinks that someone can get into the house, I said no its like Fort Knox, anyway I would hear anyone as i'm a light sleeper.
Anyway, it was a nice moment sitting on mums bed going over the past, like a trip down memory lane for both of us, just a pity that mum has Alzheimer's as there were so many things we had planned to do that we won't be able to now.

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
It's always lovely to hear about the nicer moments on here. It's natural that a forum attracts those at the end of their tether!

Here's to many more 'nice' times!

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
I enjoyed reading this too - its lovely to hear there is calm in amongst all the storms.

Makes the tough bits slightly easier to bear, but its always a sad thing when plans go out of the window

I call them 'lightbulb' moments - for a brief time someone turns the lights on in the dementia sufferers world (albeit dimly) and things make some kind of sense, fleetingly.

Thanks for sharing - it made me smile :)

Il Gufo

Feb 27, 2013
How lovely Carabosse :) Made me smile, and feel happy that you had those treasured moments chatting to your mum. Thanks for sharing it with us x

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
:) These moments are like shafts of sunlight coming through the clouds. I love them and treasure them and am so happy you had one too.

treecol

Mar 22, 2013
:Lovely, so pleased for you. It is nice to hear positive news here. I hope you have more of those moments :)

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I like those moments as well, it makes me feel like I haven't lost my mum completely to this horrible condition, I hope I have many more of them not too mention it sort of makes up for the moments where I feel as if I'm banging my head up against a brick wall!

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks... mum and I have just had some food and I gave her something she used to drink when she was younger (Pimms No.1) and asked her if she could remember what it was, she said it had a nice taste and she vaguely remembers it but couldn't remember the name, when I told her it was 'oh yes'. I have some 'Snowballs' left from the festive period, we both love those, so that's something else to get mum thinking whilst enjoying something.

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Well, that brings back memories. My mum used to like Pimms No.1, she would always have a glass, or maybe two, over Christmas - a bottle would last years!

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Don't think a bottle would last years in our house, as it happens I like the stuff as well :)